Five Ways to Connect with Millennials Through Content
During a recent study targeting 501 millennials, it was found that nearly 62 percent feel that there is a direct correlation between content marketing and organization loyalty, but the problem is that they are not interested in the content they're receiving. Finding information that has a balance between intriguing both younger and older generations is difficult, but with the help from these five suggestions below, you will have a better understanding of connecting with both crowds.
- Create Content to Fulfill Their Interests. When it comes to connecting with millennials, it's important to come up with content that is tailored to their interests. You need to constantly be thinking about what their generation is interested in, keeping their age, location and surroundings in mind. Using different tools to help you grow a better understanding of who they are will only help you find things that can motivate them. Since social media is so prevalent in this generation, sharing content on different social media sites will help keep them involved.
- Generate Useful Content. Interesting content is vital to gaining the attention of your customers and target audience and enhancing the success of your business, but content needs to be useful and relevant to your organization as well. Try to take interesting content and current events and relate them back to your business. Content should be interesting, helpful, and purposeful. This generation is your company’s future, so if you cannot pertain to their likings, then you will have a difficult time succeeding in the future.
- Keep it Short and Sweet. A recent millennial study found that the majority of participants interviewed said the main reason they can't grasp on to the content that is shared to them is because of the length. When the content is too long, their attention span shrinks and they become less interested, making them less likely to retain the information. Look for content that is short yet intriguing and can be read quickly, especially since many will be looking from a mobile device. It was also discovered in that research that millennials agreed 300 words is the sweet spot for content—simplifying your job as the content creator as well!
- Utilize Humor. Adding a touch of humor to your content will make most people interested in the content you're providing. Invoking emotion in the reader will allow them to bond with both the content and your business and it will also help them to retain the information they're taking in. Creating an emotional connection will help build a long lasting relationship between customers and your organization.
- Be Real. In addition to adding emotion into your posts, make sure the content you're sharing is authentic. You want to make sure you are bringing positivity to your brand’s reputation, so by providing content that is interesting, has a purpose and is specific to your organization, you will in turn gain millennial support and enhance your company’s successful future.
Most millennials are looking for content that they gain something from, but where they can relate to as well. It is predicted that by 2020, millennials will total more than $1.4 trillion in spending power. If you are not reaching millennials, then you are not keeping up with trends and your customers’ needs, and your business will not be prepared for the future. Creative content helps drive your company’s connections and business, so generate content that will allow you to build relationships with millennials so you can continue to grow your organization and reach current and future customers and prospects.
John Foley Jr. is the CEO of interlinkONE and Grow Socially. John and his team help printers get on a strong path to marketing success. Their approach includes software solutions, consulting, Website development, marketing audits, and strategic marketing plans. interlinkONE’s software solutions for the print industry include their marketing automation platform, MAX, and ilinkONE V8. Learn more about MAX: Marketing Automation. Executed. by visiting MarketWithMAX.com, John at JohnFoleyJr.com, and his companies at interlinkONE.com and GrowSocially.com.