The Secret to Sales Success
- Be creative. This means be yourself. Only you can be you. Thus, be certain that your approach is creative and unique. This is always appreciated by another person.
- Be passionate. You must believe in what you do 100% and love what you do. Such passion is contagious to others and they will desire to spend time with you.
- Become a great listener. This means hearing another person out fully and completely. You should be listening to what the person is saying and not thinking about what you are going to say next.
- Provide valuable content. You must bring great content to every sales encounter. This does not mean you should be a “know it all” but you should always provide valuable information to others so they want to hear what you have to say.
- Be authentic. This means to be the same in all situations. Sure, we all make mistakes but it is how we handle these things good or bad—and in a transparent manner—that builds trust.
So, there you have it. You can clearly see some “techniques” in the first five things I told you NOT to do. Again, do they work? Maybe. But, they are frowned upon and give sales a bad name. And, they are simply ways to manipulate behavior.
In the second five items, we share principles that meet the needs of human beings. We all love being around creative people who are passionate. We love to be listened to and desire to learn valuable information. Finally, we seek to be around those that are down to earth and consistent in behavior.
So...the secret to sales is quite simple. Keep it simple, be real, love what you do and care more about others than yourself. This is a biblical principle, and it’s so true. Have a great week.
Ryan T. Sauers has spent nearly 30 years running, leading or consulting with printing, graphics, promotional and visual communications-related organizations. Sauers is CEO of two companies, Sauers Consulting Strategies LLC and End Resultz Inc. that among other things, owns magazines and is a media firm. Key areas of focus of the firms include sales training, marketing strategy, personal branding, leadership development and organizational change.
Sauers is a frequent national speaker and columnist. He has been recognized as one of the top 80 CMOs globally and achieved the top designation of Certified Marketing Executive through Sales and Marketing Executives International.
Sauers is an adjunct university professor teaching leadership and communication courses to current and aspiring leaders. He is a Certified Myers Briggs, DiSC and Emotional Intelligence Practitioner (one of few in the U.S. to achieve all three rigorous certifications related to human communications, personality and behavior).
Sauers has completed his doctoral-level coursework in Organizational Leadership and is now (ABD - All But Dissertation) working on his dissertation on why some entrepreneurs and small businesses achieve initial and long-term success, whereas countless others do not.
Sauers is the host of the Marketing Matters radio show in Atlanta that later becomes a global podcast. He also is the host of the Community Connections TV show that comes out in video and podcast form. Sauers is the author of the best-selling books, Everyone is in Sales, and Would You Buy from You? More info at RyanSauers.com or call (678) 825-2049 or email Ryan@RyanSauers.com