Production Chaos Meets Order
I’m a history buff, and having read about strategies of war against any enemy, I knew THIS one could only be defeated by fighting one battle at a time. Using the weapons of well-planned systems and implementing them one by one—with the help of God and my employees—I was determined we would overcome!
Initially, and naively, I figured the war would be over in about two years. Due to my inexperience as a company commander, however—and with almost no formal business or management training—I had to retreat more than I care to admit here. Fortunately, I always returned to the struggle with better weapons and tools for warfare. I had to turn over a lot of rocks to find what was needed in the trenches. The conflict raged on and on for all of eight years, until we finally achieved victory.
I can just about hear you thinking, “I can’t wage war like that and I certainly don’t have eight years to give, with family and other obligations to consider!”
The good news is—it won’t take you eight years if you commission the right people and weapons (tools) for the battles. I believe and have faith you could win the war in one or two years.
Where do you start?
- Realization—admit you are in a WAR with chaos.
- Make a commitment—declare war to defeat this enemy, no matter how long it takes.
- Educate yourself in Chaos Warfare—read books and articles on continual improvement, process management, business management, etc. Get wise counsel.
What can you expect during the campaign?
- Opposition and push-back from employees, and sometimes even those close to you.
- Battle fatigue and maybe even a few casualties—but everyone will live.
- Some immediate victories that will encourage you and your troops to PRESS ON!
Benefits of winning the war:
- More time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do, but never could find the time.
- Peace with profit.
- Added value to your company.
- Let’s just say, more than you ever imagined!
NOTE 1: Remember Steve Jobs of Apple—you don’t need a formal business education in order to win this war!
Philip Beyer, founder/president of Ebiz Products LLC and founder of Beyer Printing Inc. in Nashville Tenn., is a chronic entrepreneur, business systems analyst and consultant. Author of "System Busters: How to Stop Them in Your Business" and recipient of an InterTech Technology Award for the design and development of System100 business process management software. Beyer speaks to business owners across the country on how to bring lean, sustainable order to their businesses. Contact him at (615) 425-2652.