The Value of August
It’s a steamy 92 degrees as I write this and yet another triple H day (hazy, hot and humid) drones on. Personally, I believe this is the single hardest selling month of the year, what with vacations and covering for others. However, this is not a lost month. There is a great value to August and the choices are many. Here’s my thinking:
First, set a goal
As I point out in my PI column (The Countdown to Blastoff), we are knocking on the door of the three most important selling months of the year. Your goal should be defined as “Where do I want to be on the day after Labor Day?” and then clearly spelled out in as much detail as possible.
Next, consider your options
So, what are some useful things you can do in August? Here’s a list, all oddly beginning with R:
1. Reconnect—The number one reason why we lose an account is that the customer thinks we are ignoring them. Soon, some other suitor comes knocking and voila, the account is gone. Why not check in with some existing clients?
2. Read—I am halfway through "The Four Hour Work Week." I recommend (another R word!) that you pull up your BS hipboots and check it out. If you can wade through the self-congratulatory writing style, the author makes some excellent points, especially concerning Time Management. Improve your sales skills by relying on the words of others.
3. Research—Why not spend some time on the Internet, looking at companies you’d like to call on and devising a plan of attack?
4. Rethink—your sales approach, that is. Are you calling on the right kinds of accounts? Are you saying something of value when you call? Are you able to overcome objections successfully? Why not use this relative quiet time to think through who you are approaching and what part of your prospecting plan needs an overhaul.
5. Rest!—Hey, there is nothing wrong with kicking back, easing off the gas pedal, and getting some R&R. When things start cooking again, you’ll wish you had!
Really, you have every Reason to Relax and Recuperate this month. Realistically, however, you should Ready yourself for the Reality of fall and a Renewed focus on business. Reconsider and Reload! Make the most of this month, campers.
Join Bill Farquharson and PI blogger Kelly Mallozzi for a webinar on August 18 at noon ET, titled "The Secrets to Prospecting: Knowing What to Say." Click here for more information or call Bill at 781-934-7036.
Information on Bill Farquharson’s Sales Challenge can be found at www.AspireFor.com or by calling Bill at 781-934-7036.
Bill Farquharson is a respected industry expert and highly sought after speaker known for his energetic and entertaining presentations. Bill engages his audiences with wit and wisdom earned as a 40-year print sales veteran while teaching new ideas for solving classic sales challenges. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (781) 934-7036. Bill’s two books, The 25 Best Print Sales Tips Ever and Who’s Making Money at Digital/Inkjet Printing…and How? as well as information on his new subscription-based website, The Sales Vault, are available at salesvault.pro.