Scoreboarding: Planning to Win! Part 1 (Includes Video)
Why AT-A-GLANCE? Because it shouldn’t take but a few seconds for anyone in your company to EASILY know the score! If the data represented on the scoreboard seems too complicated, most people will simply ignore it.
Any systems expert will tell you—in order to KNOW if a particular system is working, you have to measure it and then post the results so everyone in the organization can see them. You want everyone involved in the game.
STILL WITH ME? Okay, back to answering those questions I asked you to consider earlier in this blog.
Imagine having a SCOREBOARD on a large screen TV in your office (and other locations in your business) that displays in real time, so you could read, at-a-glance, the following:
- Total amount of REWORK for a given period for your company
- What rework is costing in dollars...and the percentage of total sales
- Which individuals in your company are causing the most rework...and how much in time and dollars.
Now imagine the same scoreboard also displays:
- PROJECTS or TASKS—you know, those wildly important goals you assign to others, but that somehow get lost in the day-to-day grind.
With a Scoreboard System, everyone in the organization can see in real time and at-a-glance, the progress of assigned task or projects.
Your scoreboard can also display:
- Companywide memos
- Special encouragement, scriptures or famous quotes
- Companywide and department calendars
- Various types of documents that are normally posted on a cluttered wall
- You name it!
Can you envision your team having a SCOREBOARD like this?
If you can imagine it, it can also become reality!
We can help you with that!
Did I mention? Great systems work!
Be sure to watch our video at PART 1 Benchmarking Lean Manufacturing.
Philip Beyer, founder/president of Ebiz Products LLC and founder of Beyer Printing Inc. in Nashville Tenn., is a chronic entrepreneur, business systems analyst and consultant. Author of "System Busters: How to Stop Them in Your Business" and recipient of an InterTech Technology Award for the design and development of System100 business process management software. Beyer speaks to business owners across the country on how to bring lean, sustainable order to their businesses. Contact him at (615) 425-2652.