Mine Your Own Business
As you develop your Data Entry Checklist, you will quickly discover what other information would add value to your “gold mine”—(i.e. birthdates, hobbies, number of employees, size of company, products line, etc.).
• New Customer Set-up Checklist
This checklist should have prompts like the ones mentioned with the Data Entry Checklist for obtaining and entering all account information, as well as prompts for getting client credit information, business hours, delivery locations, key personnel, etc.
With this checklist, you will avoid repeatedly calling and annoying a new customer just to fill in missing information.
• Daily Routine Checklists (DRCs) for Key Personnel
This is a great tool, which can ensure you are marketing to your clients or prospects consistently—not waiting until someone has a sudden vision, because sales are down or the sales department needs a shot in the arm.
- Add a prompt on a DRC to make follow-up courtesy calls to clients a few days after they receive an order.
- Add a prompt on a CSR’s DRC, to apply a label or add a flag to a job ticket that says NEW CUSTOMER, which will notify everyone in production to pay special attention this order.
- Add a prompt on someone’s DRC to send an e-mail responder with a special coupon to all your customers and prospects on the first of every month.
- There should be prompts on certain managers’ DRC’s to complete computer backups to ensure your data security.
We have extensively mined our own business by using Daily Routine Checklists, Quality Control Checklists, and Service Control Checklists throughout our companies to systemize our marketing, quality and service.
The possibilities are endless for bringing order and value to your business!
Did I mention—Great systems work?
Philip Beyer, founder/president of Ebiz Products LLC and founder of Beyer Printing Inc. in Nashville Tenn., is a chronic entrepreneur, business systems analyst and consultant. Author of "System Busters: How to Stop Them in Your Business" and recipient of an InterTech Technology Award for the design and development of System100 business process management software. Beyer speaks to business owners across the country on how to bring lean, sustainable order to their businesses. Contact him at (615) 425-2652.