DeWese--The Survey Results Are In!
Question No. 7 stuck to the education theme and asked: "I will read at least [blank] books on sales improvement during 1999." The average response was two books. It's no wonder these folks will improve sales more than 30 percent this year—two sales seminars and two books will fill their brains with new ideas and sales techniques.
Questions No. 8 through No. 10 moved over to the important subjects of sales management and company loyalty.
Question No. 8 was multiple choice. It asked: "Our owner/CEO is [circle one]: a) A great manager and a role model for everyone; b) A well-intended person who could stand a little management training; c) A good person, but doesn't have a clue about running a printing company; d) An ego-driven idiot who is just this side of Attila the Hun."
Sixty-three percent of the survey respondents selected a) and rated their owner/CEO a "great manager." Another 12 percent rated their leader b) and "in need of some training." I was distressed that the remaining 25 percent, about evenly divided, rated their boss either c) or d).
Maybe you people with the c) and d) managers had better start cleaning up your resumes.
The next question was: "Our company is: a) Well-poised to move into the new millennium and will survive and prosper; b) So-so and we may or may not make it; c) Has been sold to one of the industry consolidators. Thankfully, 66 percent of the responses indicated that their company will be alive and well in the post-2001 era. The remaining 34 percent either had questions about the company health or had seen their company acquired by a consolidator.
The final question was also multiple choice. I was disappointed that only 64 percent of the respondents said they were proud to work for their company and intend to stay. Eight percent viewed their employment as "just a job to supply a pay check." The remaining 28 percent said they would "love to leave this place and take my accounts with me."