What You Need to Know About Facebook--This Week!
- 75% of SMBs said Facebook was the most effective social medium for their business
- 56% of users are more likely to recommend a business of which they are a Facebook fan
- 51% of Facebook users are more likely to buy after becoming a fan of a business
Despite the results, social media remains a challenge for small business owners, as 59% listed it as a marketing activity on which they need help.
With these points in mind, I wanted to share some of the latest tips, rules, news and features in recent days from the social superpower.
What works and does not work when you post on Facebook? Edgerank is the algorithm that determines what appears in News Feeds. What it boils down to is that, the more people engage with your pages, the more they will appear on the site. And it follows that high engagement equals high sales.
The Facebook Wall Post Cheat Sheet created by Linchpin SEO has statistics that will help you post content that will engage your audience. Here are a few highlights.
- Photo posts receive interaction rates 39% higher than average.
- Posts that contain emoticons have 52% higher interaction rates and 57% higher Like rates, 33% higher comment rates and 33% higher share rates.
- Don't bother with the 🙂 emoticon because it is so yesterday. However, 😀 has a +138% interaction rate!
- Posts with 80 characters or less get a 23% higher interaction rate but 75% of posts exceed this length.
- The most effective calls to action on Facebook include Like, caption this, share, yes or no and thumbs up. In contrast, take, click, submit, check and shop have much lower interaction rates.
- If you want someone to share your post, you just have to ask. When publishers do, the share rate is seven times higher.
- Along the same lines, if they are asked to comment, there is a 3.3 times higher comment rate and, if they are asked to like a post the rate is three times higher.
- "Winner", "win" and "giveaway" are keywords that significantly increase interaction.
- You'll get lower interaction rates with posts containing questions but will get a 92% higher comment rate.
- Be sure to put your questions at the end because these posts have two times higher interaction than those with questions in the middle.