Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Returned to Year-Over-Year Growth in Q3
FRAMINGHAM, MA—December 13, 2013—The worldwide large-format printer market grew 6.2 percent year over year with 77.7 thousand units shipped in the third quarter of 2013 (3Q13), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker. This quarter's market growth marks the first time since the first quarter of 2011 where both units and shipment value achieved year-over-year gains. IDC quantified the total 3Q13 market value at $802.8 million, an increase of 6.2 percent year over year.
The overall growth was fueled by solid demand from the two largest geographic markets, the United States and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan)(APeJ). The United States had year-over-year growth of 16.5 percent in units and 8.4 percent in shipment value while APeJ enjoyed a 20.9 percent gain in units and 8.4 percent in shipment value.
"Epson was one of the main growth engines in the APeJ market," said Phuong Hang, program director, Worldwide Large Format Printer Tracker. "The password encryption on Epson print heads benefited Epson itself, as well as Roland, Mimaki and Mutoh who OEM from Epson. The encryption was established in December 2012 and helped to prevent other Chinese brands from using Epson print heads to develop their own machines."
- The technical application segment grew 5.7 percent to 45.9 thousand units shipped, and accounted for 59.1 percent share of the total LFP market in the third quarter, unchanged from a year ago. Seven out of eight regional markets showed year-over-year unit growth in this segment with the Middle East and Africa (MEA) leading the pack at 23.8 percent, followed by the United States at 15.4 percent and Japan at 12.7 percent.
- The graphics application segment also showed a year-over-year gain in 3Q13, increasing 6.9 percent to 31.8 thousand units and accounting for 40.9 percent share of the overall market. The two largest regional markets, APeJ and the United States, were among the four regional markets that posted year-over-year growth, 19.8 percent and 18.0 percent, respectively. The other two regions that expanded year over year were Japan and MEA.
- HP continued as the number one ranked vendor in 3Q13 with worldwide large format printer market share of 39.1 percent and 30.5 thousand units shipped, which is a -1.4 percent decline year over year. The vendor posted year-over-year growth in four regional markets, including APeJ and the United States, with 15.0 percent and 13.4 percent, respectively.
- Epson climbed up one spot from last quarter to become the number two ranked vendor. Epson grew 13.5 percent year over year to 16.6 thousand units shipped, resulting in 21.4 percent share. This performance was driven by double-digit year-over-year growth in the United States (51.4 percent), APeJ (34.2 percent), Japan (22.4 percent), and MEA (16.8 percent).
- Canon moved down one spot from last quarter to the number three position worldwide. The vendor increased 12.4 percent year over year to 16.4 thousand units and 21.1 percent share. Canon had a year-over-year increase in all regions except for Western Europe. The top three regions in terms of year-over-year growth were Central & Eastern Europe (CEE) at 46.7 percent, APeJ at 35.5 percent, and Canada at 17.3 percent.
- Roland strengthened its position as the number four vendor in the worldwide large format printer market with 20.9 percent year-over-year growth and 2.7 thousand units shipped. Other than Europe, the vendor posted year-over-year gains in all other regions with MEA being the leader in terms of year-over-year growth at 50.0 percent, followed by APeJ at 45.7 percent and Latin America at 45.1 percent.
- Ricoh continued as the number five vendor for the third consecutive quarter with over 2 thousand units shipped and 2.6 percent share. The vendor's shipments increased 22.1 percent year over year, the best year-over-year performance among the top five, and posted positive shipment growth in all regions except for Latin America. All of Ricoh's top three regional markets expanded year over year including Japan growing at 3.8 percent, the United States at 45.1 percent, and APeJ at 20.4 percent.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and online query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. For more than 49 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company.