Vistaprint Reports Q1 FY 2015 Year-Over-Year Revenue Growth of 21 Percent, to $333.9M
VENLO, NETHERLANDS—October 30, 2014—Vistaprint N.V., a leading online provider of professional marketing products and services to micro businesses and the home, has announced financial results for the three month period ended September 30, 2014, the first quarter of its 2015 fiscal year.
"We are off to a good start to fiscal 2015 and remain confident in our strategy and our ability to execute operationally," said Robert Keane, president and CEO. "Quarterly revenue was in line with our expectations for improved growth in our Vistaprint brand and strong growth from recent acquisitions. Profitability, operating cash flow and free cash flow were also strong. We continued to improve the customer value proposition for our Vistaprint brand, began to integrate our recent acquisitions, and accelerated investment in software for our mass customization platform."
Consolidated Financial Metrics:
- Revenue for the first quarter of fiscal year 2015 was $333.9 million, a 21 percent increase compared to revenue of $275.1 million reported in the same quarter a year ago. Excluding the estimated impact from currency exchange rate fluctuations and revenue from businesses acquired during the past twelve months, total revenue grew 6 percent year over year in the first quarter.
- Gross margin (revenue minus the cost of revenue as a percent of total revenue) in the first quarter was 61.0 percent, down from 65.2 percent in the same quarter a year ago. The year-over-year reduction in gross margin was primarily due to its recent acquisitions of People & Print Group and Pixartprinting, which have lower gross margins than its Vistaprint-branded business. Excluding the businesses we acquired during the past 12 months, its gross margin increased slightly year over year.
- Operating income in the first quarter was $16.9 million, or 5.1 percent of revenue, a significant increase compared to $8.4 million, or 3.1 percent of revenue, in the same quarter a year ago.
- GAAP net income for the first quarter was $23.7 million, or 7.1 percent of revenue, compared to $0.4 million, or 0.1 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago. Part of the significant year-over-year growth in GAAP net income is due to below-the-line currency movements which created losses in the year-ago period but gains in the current period.
- GAAP net income per diluted share for the first quarter was $0.71, versus $0.01 in the same quarter a year ago, due in part to the currency movements described above.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income for the first quarter, which excludes amortization expense for acquisition-related intangible assets, tax charges related to the alignment of acquisition-related intellectual property with its operational structure, the change in the fair-value estimate of its acquisition-related earn-outs, unrealized currency gains and losses on currency hedges and intercompany financing arrangements included in net income, and share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect, was $28.8 million, or 8.6 percent of revenue, representing a 79 percent increase compared to $16.1 million, or 5.9 percent of revenue, in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income per diluted share for the first quarter, as defined above, was $0.86, versus $0.46 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Capital expenditures in the first quarter were $16.7 million, or 5.0 percent of revenue.
- During the first quarter, the company generated $52.6 million of cash from operations and $32.3 million in free cash flow, defined as cash from operations less purchases of property, plant and equipment, purchases of intangible assets not related to acquisitions, and capitalization of software and website development costs.
- As of September 30, 2014, the company had $60.9 million in cash and cash equivalents and $447.9 million of debt. After considering debt covenant limitations, as of September 30, 2014 the company had $268.1 million available for borrowing under its committed credit facility.
Starting in the first quarter of fiscal 2014, all operating metrics include Albumprinter and Webs, and post-acquisition prior-period comparisons have been adjusted to reflect the same consolidated view. The recent acquisitions of People & Print Group, Pixartprinting and FotoKnudsen are not yet incorporated into its customer metrics.