Sheetfed/Web Litho Printing: Offsetting a Weak Economy
For on-press color measurement and defect detection, Essex Products Group (EPG) launched KeyColor ColorInSpec. Featuring technology from Apollo Systems, the system reads an entire color bar on every impression, reducing make- ready time and monitoring defects according to customer-set tolerances. It integrates with EPG and other remote ink control systems to accomplish on-press color measurement corrections in real time.
AVT promoted the next- generation GMI ColorQuick/Clarios automated closed-loop, on-press color control system and Microcolor/Mercury remote touchscreen ink control for commercial printing applications.
Some other pressroom-related highlights around the show floor:
• Sakurai USA featured two presses in its booth: a five-color, 235⁄8x31˝ 575SDC offset press with coater that allows six-up format work, and a 41˝ Maestro MS-102AII cylinder screen press.
• Known more for its folding machines and related bindery equipment, PRINT 09 marked the debut of the BaumPrint 18 small-format press, being manufactured within Baumfolder's Sidney, OH, factory.
• Van Son Holland Ink added Vs1 to its Vs Series of inks. An oil-based ink enabling quick makereadies, Vs1 provides UV and aqueous coating capability, as well as stability—regardless of press size.
• INX International featured EcoTech process color inks incorporating more than 65 percent bio-derived content and three new ProCure UV Soy coatings.
• Shops printing jobs requiring exact brand spot colors now have access to Sun Chemical's SmartColour Global Shade Library database featuring more than 100,000 formulations of real ink colors. PI