Nonheatset Printers — Cold Webs Commercial
FOR SOME, it’s a matter of survival and, fortunately, given the state of the newspaper industry, for others, it’s a matter of growth. In either case, newspaper/publication printers running coldset web offset presses are expanding their product ranges or delivering greater value to existing customers. Through increased automation, newer technologies (like UV inks), new presses, new publication configurations, or some combination of these options, printers are offering both internal and external clients production efficiencies and the opportunity to upgrade to color quality levels that have greater appeal to advertisers.
Ron Magee, pressroom manager at the Carroll County Times, Westminster, MD, reports that last summer his company purchased its new Manugraph DGM 440, equipped with a Prime UV system, a Graphics Microsystems ink key control system with CIP3 Interpreter digital presetting, and a QuadTech Register Guidance System. Thus, workflow with automated ink settings determined in prepress allows them to come up to color quickly. The UV inks allow a coldset press to print on glossy stock.
Landmark Community Newspapers (LCNI), a subsidiary of Landmark Communications, owns the Carroll County Times. Among its numerous media properties, Landmark Communications owns the Weather Channel Networks. In addition to LCNI, it also has a number of metro dailies. LCNI alone publishes more than 100 newspapers, shoppers, college sports publications and special interest publications around the country.
Not Just Newspapers
Magee says that in addition to the daily newspaper, they print dozens of real estate magazines per month, as well as special sections and mailers, so that 85 percent of their work is internal. Special sections are typically seasonal, but might also include area, wedding and home improvement guides. The remaining 15 percent of external commercial work consists of weekly tabloids from other areas in Maryland, plus weekly and biweekly newspapers and any of their special sections.