Newspaper Upgrades Its Mailroom Operation
HOUSTON—As part of a comprehensive project to improve mailroom capacity and efficiency, the Houston Chronicle ordered a Goss Magnapak inserter and contracted for the enhancement of its existing Goss NP632 and NP2299 inserters.
The new Magnapak inserter will cycle at up to 30,000 copies/hr. Dual-delivery capability will give the publisher the versatility to operate a single stream or two separate streams.
In addition, to create a cohesive and integrated system, Goss will relocate the NP632 inserter and upgrade controls on both legacy machines to its current Omnicon platform for compatibility with the Magnapak.
Folder with Pallet-Fed Feeder Boosts Productivity
AUGUSTA, ME—J.S. McCarthy is a second-generation, family owned business and one of New England's largest printing operations. It is also the first U.S. printer to install a Stahl KH-82 6KTLP folder with pallet-fed PFX feeder and Twinstacker TSH-70 delivery from Heidelberg. The configuration also features a pre-slitter shaft in the first station and rear-mounted slitter shafts with Heidelberg's lift technology.
"We're all about being the low-cost producer in the markets we serve," said Jonathan Tardiff, vice president. "Our new Stahlfolder KH-82 has drastically reduced our makeready times and nearly doubled the run speeds on our folded signature work."
J.S. McCarthy has saved nearly 4,500 hours per year in folding production time, and now pushes as much commercial signature work as possible to the new machine on a four-shift, 24/7 production schedule.
Maple Press Opts For Digital Casemaker
YORK, PA—On Demand Machinery recently installed an ODM Casemaker, Sticker casing-in and Smasher building-in machines at Maple Press to produce "library-quality" hardcover books. According to Maple Press Vice President of Operations G. Scott Simons, "It was refreshing to find excellent equipment designed and manufactured in the United States."
- Two Foildex cold foil and Filmdex UV Cast and Cure systems from Diversified Graphic Machinery have been sold to Rohrer Corp. in Wadsworth, OH.
- In New Albany, IN, L & D Mail Masters installed a Mailstream Productivity Series inserting system from Pitney Bowes.
- Allied Printing Services in Manchester, CT, has installed a Muller Martini Acoro PUR perfect binder with 15 feeder/pockets, as well as ASAC and ASIR.
- HM Graphics, in Milwaukee, has acquired a DYSS X5 wide-format digital cutter, as well as a variety of consumables and GMG Production Suite workflow software, from The Mosaica Group.
- NABS Bindery Service, Waltham, MA, has purchased a Standard Horizon 470 PUR binder to complement its Horizon HT 70, BQ 270 and 2 VAC collator systems.
- Colter & Peterson has installed an Accutrim HD1680 three-knife trimmer at Hertzberg-New Method. The Jacksonville, IL-based company includes Perma-Bound, a book rebinder and a provider of reinforced paperback books primarily to schools and libraries.