26th Annual FSEA Gold Leaf Award Winners Announced
The Foil & Specialty Effects Association (FSEA) has announced the honorees in its 26th Annual FSEA Gold Leaf Awards Competition. Entries were received from countries around the world, including the US, Canada, Denmark and Taiwan. Gold, silver and bronze winners were honored in 41 categories. Best of Show and two Best of Show Honorable Mention honorees were revealed during a reception held at Odyssey Expo 2019, Atlanta, Georgia, in mid-May.
D.E. Baugh, Indianapolis, Indiana, was awarded the 2019 Best of Show award for “A Baugh Christmas Story,” which was entered in the category of Greeting Card, Self-Promotion: Most Creative. D.E. Baugh channeled its annual holiday greeting to customers into an opportunity to impress clients with not only its structural design capabilities, but also its high-end, value-added services – while having a little fun along the way. Playing on the classic movie “A Christmas Story,” recipients opened a “crate” containing a special surprise. Once the card is opened, the shadowbox inside shows the leg lamp glowing against a holiday scene. In addition to foil stamped and embossed elements on the flap, interior elements were multi-level embossed, while some design elements also were diecut.
Two Honorable Mention certificates were awarded – the first was presented to Gravure Choquet for “Kallima Swatch Book,” in the Client Promotion / Brochure category; and the second to J.S. McCarthy for its “2019 Calendar of 19th Century Inventions,” which was submitted in the Self-Promotion category.
The competition evaluates submissions that utilize a wide range of specialty finishing techniques, from foil stamping and embossing to specialty coating, film laminating, laser cutting, diecutting and cold foil applications. Submissions come in a variety of formats, including book covers, point-of-purchase displays, folding cartons, promotional pieces, calendars and more. The pieces are assessed on design, execution and level of difficulty, with the highest honors going to those companies that best execute the decorative enhancements. The FSEA Gold Leaf Awards Competition celebrates the quality, added value, shelf presence, security and brand recognition that these finishing processes lend to the printed sheet.
Gold award winners in the 26th Annual FSEA Gold Leaf Awards, along with the categories in which the submissions won, are listed in this press release. To view all honorees, visit www.fsea.com.
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Announcement/Invitation (Creative Design): DMS Color, Looksy Prints Invitation
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Announcement/Invitation (Technical Difficulty): Behrmann Printing Company, Fairlane Dinner Dance Invitation
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Book Cover/Jacket: Bertelsmann Printing Group USA, The Ruin of Kings
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Business Card: PBS-Pacific Bindery Services Ltd, Hangar 18 Business Card
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing – Calendar: Gravure Choquet, Gravure Choquet Calendar
- Best Use of Film Casting (Cast & Cure™): Artistic Carton, Lucky Charms – Magical Unicorn
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Client Promotion/Brochure: Gravure Choquet, Kallima Swatch Book
- Best Use of Cold Foiling - Label/Carton: Diamond Packaging, Crest 3D Whitestrips™ Professional White
- Best Use of Cold Foiling – Self-Promotion: Diamond Packaging, Diamond Packaging 2019 Calendar
- Best Use of Diecut with Foil: Studio on Fire, Ku’l Chocolate Sleeves
- Best Use of Digital Inkjet-Foil: Print Panther, Print Panther & Eatprintlove
- Best Use of Digital Inkjet-Coating: Feiereisen, Feiereisen Finish with Style
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Direct Mail: Seidl’s Bindery, SWOSU “We Want You”
- Best Foil/UV Coating Selection Guide: Print Panther, Extreme Digital Designer’s Guide
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Folding Carton (Creative Design): Tap Packaging Solutions, Lolli & Pops Golden Goose Egg
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Folding Carton (Technical Difficulty): Glory Innovations, Rose Wine Box
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Greeting Card (Commercial): Foil Graphics, ASU Library Card
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Greeting Card Self Promotion (Creative Design): E. Baugh Co., A Baugh Christmas Story
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Greeting Card Self Promotion (Technical Difficulty): Foil Graphics, Foil Graphics Merry Christmas Pop-Up Card
- Best Use of Holographic Foil: MCD Incorporated, Security Enhancements
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Label (Creative Design): Multi-Color Corporation North America Wine & Spirits, Barnacles Rum Gran Reserva
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Label (Technical Difficulty): All American Label & Packaging, Night Owl - Rubino Estates Winery
- Best Use of Laminating Film: Bertelsmann Printing Group USA, Legendary
- Best Use of Laser Cutting: Jostens, Saint Anthony’s
- Best Use of Letterpress: Studio on Fire, Lowell Smokes 1/4 oz Pre-Roll Packaging
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing – Miscellaneous: Grover Cleveland Press, Errol Garner Poster
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Presentation Folder: Petra & Holum, Chambord
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Presentation Folder (Self Promotion): Admore, Good Bones….Great Folders
- Best Use of Refractive Foil: Gravure Choquet, EMPREINTE
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Rigid Box (Best Engineered/Functionality): Petra & Holum, Thank You Box
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Rigid Box: Taylor Box Company, Goslings Old Rum Rebrand
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Self Promotion (Holiday): Print Panther, (RIT) Rochester Institute of Technology Class Project – More Than a Box
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Self Promotion: S. McCarthy Printers, 2019 Calendar of 19th Century Inventions
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Self Promotion (Industry Supplier): Dreyer Kliché, Dreyer Kliché Copenhagen - More Than a Fairytale
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Soft & Hardback Book Cover (Creative Design): McGraphics, Inc., Belmont University - Opening Doors
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Soft & Hardback Book Cover (Technical Difficulty): Jostens, Lucky Bag 2018
- Best Special Diecut: All American Label & Packaging, AALP Box Carton Promotional Packaging
- Best Use of Specialty UV Coating (Screen): Jostens, Untold Stories
- Best Use of Foil/Embossing - Stationery Ensemble: Univacco Technology Inc., Red Envelope Giveaway
- Most Unique Binding: Jostens, This House Is Not For Sale
- Most Unique Fold: Bertelsmann Printing Group USA, Celebrating 150 Years Event Program
The preceding press release was provided by a company unaffiliated with Printing Impressions. The views expressed within do not directly express the thoughts opinions of Printing Impressions.