Weekly Marketing Reading: Ads, Social, Design and Content
The reasons it is important to leverage social media for search are as follows.
1) It helps you manage your company's reputation when your pages and profiles appear in top search results versus competitors' sites that mention your brand or potentially negative reviews on other sites.
2) It also helps you increase the visibility of your brand and the products you sell. Moving the company Facebook page to the top of search rankings ensures your brand is highly visible to drive revenue.
3) The higher your Facebook page appears, the more likely clients will engage in conversations, Like your page and Share items for sale.
Here's what you should do to improve the search ranking for your Facebook page:
- Link to your Facebook page from your website, using your brand in the anchor or alt-text.
- Use your brand name in posts.
- Get links to your Facebook page by driving social engagement and Likes.
- Use Facebook Shares and Likes to improve rankings of any page on your website (some industry analysis indicates the number of Shares is the #1 social factor correlated with good rankings).
- Integrate your website broadly with Facebook Social Plugins and Facebook Connect.
The complaint many marketers have about Facebook is that Edgerank shows posts to small percentages of business pages' followers (an average of 16 percent). Some people actually suggest that Facebook should change or that they are not going to use it. But good marketing is about figuring out how to overcome communication and branding challenges.
The reality is that Edgerank prevents cluttered newsfeeds of content that is not valuable or meaningful to average users. It rewards good content and penalizes the junk. That's why it is more critical than ever for marketers to be creative. Develop good content to manage Edgerank and get your work in front of fans and prospects. And it's never a good idea to promote your failure when it could lead other people to not try at all.