Management by Mathematics
To positively affect the products of the above mathematical equations, there are several proven methods you can use.
- Use the latest technologies to be as efficient as you can.
- Make sure that the team goals are totally clear and completely understood and accepted by each team member.
- Make sure there is complete clarity about who is responsible for what. Avoid overlapping authority.
- Build trust with team members by spending one-on-one time in an atmosphere of honesty and openness. Be loyal to your employees, if you expect the same from them.
- Allow your team members to build trust and openness between each other by organizing activities and events.
- For issues that rely heavily on the team consensus and commitment, try to involve the whole team in the decision-making process.
- When managing teams, make sure there are no blocked lines of communications and you and your people are kept fully informed.
- Be careful with interpersonal issues—recognize them early and deal with them before they affect the success of the team.
- Don't miss opportunities to empower your employees. Say thank you or show appreciation of an individual team player's work. Don't limit yourself to negative feedback, but don’t hold back from it either. Give critical and constructive feedback directly (without sugar-coating) and immediately. Don’t be harsh: offer the individual a way out.
- Leverage experience and look to the past and apply what worked in similar situations.
- Plan both for success and to avoid failure by identifying what can go wrong and how you can fix it if it does.
- Manage risk, including known risk with known impact, known risk with unknown impact and unknown risk with unknown impact.
- Expect change as it is constant and requires/results in constant growth.
- Communicate effectively and add channels where necessary to improve it.
- Learn continuously (even from failure).
You need to know two things when reading a map: where you are and where you want to go. If you know where you are and don’t know where you want to go, what is the point of the journey? And if you don’t know where you are now, then you can take any of the possible routes and rely on your luck to reach your destination.