EFI Reports Revenue Decline in Q4 2009 Results
• Amortization of acquisition-related intangibles. Intangible assets acquired to date are being amortized on a straight-line basis.
• Stock-based compensation expense is recognized in accordance with FASB Accounting Standards Codification, Topic 718, Stock Compensation.
• Non-recurring charges and gains, including:
- Restructuring related charges. We have incurred restructuring charges as we reduce the number and size of our facilities and the size of our workforce.
- Asset impairment costs consist of equipment and non-cancellable purchase orders incurred relating to a planned product that was cancelled.
- Gain on sale of building and land. On January 29, 2009, we sold a portion of the Foster City, California campus for a final amount of $137.3 million to Gilead Sciences, Inc., resulting in a gain on sale of approximately $80 million.
- Goodwill impairment. In the fourth quarter of 2008, we recognized a goodwill impairment charge of approximately $104 million.
• Tax effect of these adjustments.
These non-GAAP measures are not in accordance with or an alternative for GAAP and may be materially different from other non-GAAP measures, including similarly titled non-GAAP measures, used by other companies. The presentation of this additional information should not be considered in isolation from, as a substitute for, or superior to, net income or earnings per diluted share prepared in accordance with GAAP. Non-GAAP financial measures have limitations in that they do not reflect certain items that may have a material impact upon our reported financial results. We expect to continue to incur expenses of a nature similar to the non-GAAP adjustments described above, and exclusion of these items from our non-GAAP net income and non-GAAP earnings per diluted share should not be construed as an inference that these costs are unusual, infrequent or non-recurring.
For more information on the non-GAAP adjustments, please see the table captioned “Reconciliation of GAAP Net Income to Non-GAAP Net Income” included in this press release.