Report Tracks Worldwide Wide-Format Installs, Vendor Market SharesFebruary 21, 2014
FRAMINGHAM, MA—February 21, 2014—Most regional markets posted year-over-year growth during the fourth quarter of 2013 (4Q13), leading to a 4.1 percent over-year-year increase in the worldwide large-format printer (LFP) market, according to the International Data Corp. (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker. Overall shipments in the worldwide large-format market grew to 82,000 units in 4Q13, an increase of 4,000 units from the third quarter. Both mature and emerging markets had positive year-over-year growth in 4Q13, at 3.6 percent and 4.8 percent respectively. Despite experiencing a strong second half, the global market finished the full year 2013 with a year-over-year decline of -1.7 percent in unit shipments.
"There are multiple growth opportunities in this market," said Phuong Hang, program director, Worldwide Large Format Printer Tracker. "For instance, improved speeds and image quality can boost aqueous sales into the technical space. Latex ink-based products will be a growth driver as well. Vendors are touting lower power consumption of this technology, and the ability to print white ink accesses applications that use transparent media."
- Shipments of technical printers had their third consecutive quarter of growth in 4Q13, increasing 6.9 percent year over year. Technical remained the larger application segment with 49,500 units shipped and a 60 percent share of the total LFP market in the fourth quarter, up from 59 percent a year earlier. Mature markets grew by 8.4 percent in the quarter. For all of 2013, technical shipments increased 4.6 percent year over year to 110,800 units.
- Shipments in graphics applications were flat compared to a year ago. With 32,500 units shipped, this segment accounted for 40 percent of the overall market, down 1 point from a year ago. Emerging markets enjoyed 4.8 percent year-over-year increase while mature markets declined -3.2 percent year-over-year.
- HP grew 3.9 percent year-over-over to 32,801 units shipped, resulting in 40.0 percent share, essentially unchanged from a year ago. HP remains the market leader in its traditional area of strength, the technical market, with more than double the share of its next competitor, Canon. HP also held its second place position in the graphics market, trailing market leader Epson.
- Canon climbed one spot from last quarter to become the number 2 vendor in the worldwide large-format printers market. Canon grew 8.5 percent year over year to 18,247 units shipped and a 22.3 percent share. Canon's shipments grew year-over-year in both technical and graphics segments. Canon finished the full year 2013 with 7.5 percent year-over-year growth.
- Epson took the number 3 position in the global LFP market with 20.2 percent share, down 1 point from a year ago. The vendor declined -1.1 percent year over year to 16,577 units shipped. Epson ranked third in the overall technical market and continued as the leader of the graphics applications segment, with more than double the share of the next competitor, HP. The vendor declined -4.5 percent year over year for full year 2013.
- Roland solidified its position as the number 4 vendor in the worldwide large-format printers market by growing 17.2 percent year over year in 4Q13, resulting in 3.7 percent share and 3,009 units shipped. Roland's strength is the graphics market, in which it held fourth place worldwide, unchanged from a year earlier. The vendor posted a 13.6 percent year over year increase for the full year 2013.
- Ricoh rounded out the top five vendors with 2.6 percent share in the overall LFP market. The vendor enjoyed significant year-over-year growth of 41.8 percent to 2,126 units shipped in the quarter. The technical segment remained Ricoh's main focus as the vendor does not have any shipments in the graphics market. Ricoh enjoyed year-over-year growth in all four quarters of 2013, bringing its full year result to a 24.2 percent increase. This is Ricoh's third consecutive year of market growth.
In addition to the tables shown below, an interactive graphic showing the worldwide market share of the top five large-format printer vendors for 4Q13 and 4Q12 is available here.
- IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market
- The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company.