CIP3--Integrating Operations, Maximizing ProductivityMay 1998
MAN Roland was so committed to CIP3 that it created Oakes' position one year ago, giving Oakes the opportunity to develop digital directions for MAN Roland's family of presses. Reporting directly to Schmidt-Liermann, Oakes works with the German pressmaker's sales force to bring them up to speed on new prepress technologies, products and digital trends. Oakes also interacts with customers in the field to examine current workflows and existing equipment to determine the viability of CTP implementation.
"When Agfa's Galileo began shipping in the first quarter of this year, MAN Roland started offering it as a solution to customers considering CTP," Oakes reports. "We will also be able to help our customers integrate existing CTP systems into their MAN Roland press production workflows via the CIP3 interface."
Why this prepress enthusiasm?
"There does not exist any customer today that hasn't at least explored options in a CTP environment. And they all want to buy prepress systems, as well as presses, that are open and that can communicate with one another," Oakes explains.
"The marketplace is now well aware CIP3 is the format which will allow that communication to proceed."
—Marie Ranoia Alonso
PECOM Fast Facts
- MAN Roland's PECOM process electronics system provides the means to structure data handling efficiently in a plant environment.
- With PECOM, data is generated and recorded only once and then is available for use at all levels of the PECOM structure, from the base level, Process Electronic Control, to Process Electronic Organization, to the top level, Process Electronic Management.
- PECOM and its TPP workstation allows the user to set up and store more than 5,000 jobs off-line and transfer job data quickly to Roland 300, 700 and 900 presses when the job is to be printed.
- CIP3 lets MAN Roland's PECOM/TPP workstation and printing presses work hand-in-glove with CIP3-compliant equipment, including Agfa's Galileo digital platesetter, as well as prepress equipment from an assortment of other world-class vendors.
- PECOM will enable CIP3 to deliver its biggest impact in short-run, quick-makeready color printing. "Now, because of CIP3, coupled with CTP, we are able to take on the short-run color jobs much more efficiently," reports Kevin Oakes, manager of digital press systems at MAN Roland. "CIP3 allows printers to achieve sheetfed offset print quality while substantially improving workflow efficiency. The print quality obtained from conventional offset cannot be matched with direct-to-press production, and efficiency advantages of direct-to-press are greatly reduced in runs longer than 1,000 to 1,500 copies."
EDUCATION IS POWER
MAN Roland & AGFA to Conduct Global
Seminars on CTP Workflow Technologies
MAN Roland and Agfa have partnered to offer a worldwide seminar series to assist commercial printers with the challenges and opportunities presented by implementing new technologies, such as computer-to-plate, PDF workflows, pressroom automation and digital printing.
The half-day seminars are part of Agfa's Digital Roadmaps program, designed to help Agfa and its business partners share their wealth of knowledge and technical expertise with web and sheetfed printers moving toward complete digital workflow solutions. The seminars were launched in April in Sydney, Australia. There will be 30 seminars total.
The seminars will cover a variety of issues critical to CTP workflow, such as Extending the Digital Workflow to the Pressroom, A Roadmap for Implementing Digital Workflow from Design to Offset Printed Page, and A Roadmap for Implementing A Computer-to-Plate Workflow.
"We at MAN Roland see Agfa's Digital Roadmaps seminars as an important instrument in providing printers with essential information to understanding digital workflow from data input through press delivery," reports Kevin Oakes, manager of digital presses, MAN Roland. "We look forward to participating in the seminars."