Understanding Registered Hologram Printing with Viridian
Brand protection. Anti-counterfeiting. Package security. Product differentiation. Limited editions. Premium reputation. If you’re looking to achieve any of these features for your packaging clients, registered hologram printing using Viridian holographic Eco-Paperboard may be the solution for you. In the past, you may have only seen a registered hologram on a concert ticket, medication carton, playing card or DVD box. However, companies today are finding this technique can help grow their brand in a variety of ways.
In this blog we’ll help you understand what a registered hologram is, how to use it in sheetfed offset applications and its advantages to product packaging, with Viridian feedback and experience from our friends at Palm Printing in Florida.
What is Registered Hologram Printing?
A registered hologram is a logo, emblem, or customized mark, pre-printed in registration on the paperboard (printed in the exact same spot on each sheet), and then overprinted with layers of opaque white and the remaining process artwork to create the finished product. Registered holograms themselves can also be overprinted with various colors to add highlights and dimensions or designate product lines or limited editions.
Registered holograms are often 3D in appearance and can be certified through the International Hologram Manufacturers Association (IHMA) and registered through the Hologram Image Register (HIR) through organizations like the Foil & Special Effects Association (FSEA).
Doug, lead offset pressman from Palm Printing uses the Viridian Eco-Paperboard sheets from K Laser Technology to achieve custom hologram printing. In his experience, “I customarily print four layers of white ink to achieve enough opacity for printing the process colors and hiding the base material. We also will print the process inks directly on the material and achieve some really wild effects. We have created various levels of opacity in the white ink by using different images overlaying each other.”
Applications for Registered Holograms
Draw inspiration from the following registered hologram applications that we’ve witnessed succeed.
- Authentication, anti-counterfeiting, and security applications, often used for medical products or supplements, technology, fan memorabilia, or entry items like sports or concert tickets.
- Special honors, commemorations, and emblems often used in military products, magazine covers and special invitations.
- Seasonal or limited-edition products for consumer products such as specialty sneakers, apparel tags, collector editions, and exclusive offers.
- Premium, luxury or deluxe product versions such as expensive cologne and perfume packaging, make up cartons, beauty supplements and other lavish items.
Incorporating a registered hologram can help authenticate your brand with a premium feel and custom security.
“Combinations of white opacity and ink coverages give a wide range of effects. If you can dream it, the Viridian sheet will help it come to life, sheet to sheet and job to job,” says Jason, Pre-Press Manager at Palm Printing.
Keep in mind, registered holograms accommodate sheetfed offset paper or paperboard. For roll-to-roll plastics and paper stock please contact K Laser Technology for more information.
ADVANTAGES OF REGISTERED HOLOGRAMS
Working with Viridian paperboard registered holograms has a multitude of advantages. Some notable benefits are:
- Packaging immediately looks more unique, authentic, refined, and high-end.
- Minimize registration issues with the hologram being pre-registered for each sheet.
- No cold foiling equipment investment is required to achieve hologram printing.
- Viridian paperboard is 100% recyclable and does not impact the paper pulping process.
- Holograms can be certified through the IHMA and registered through HIR for added security.
If you’re looking for new ways to diversify your print product portfolio and assist clients with premium, anti-counterfeit hologram printing, Viridian Eco-paperboard is a sustainable solution that delivers. With a variety of applications and advantages, registered holograms could give you the competitive edge to attract new clients and retain current ones, with no equipment cost necessary.
In Doug’s experience, “the first time I printed on it I must admit I was a little intimidated, but once I got started with the make ready, all my fears were cast aside. The Viridian sheets fed, printed, and delivered very smoothly. I found nothing negative about using this material and was very pleased with the results.”