The SMB Marketing Opportunity for Mother's Day
The overarching theme is that advertising has to do more than just tell people how great product and services are. It has to offer consumers something of value. When building marketing campaigns around Mother's Day, there is an opportunity to thank mothers but also to give them discounts and other incentives. And don't forget grandmothers—advertising can drive additional purchases for a second generation! Here are some categories of advertisers for you to target that can tie in with Mother's Day.
- Traditional Gifts and Cards: Encourage businesses in this category to count down to Mother's Day, feature a variety of products and services and remind consumers to prepare for the holiday.
- Restaurants: Along the same lines, restaurants can use advertising to suggest people make reservations for the holiday. This is probably a good idea considering that approximately 80 million of the adults in the U.S. will be going out to eat on Sunday (about one third!).
- Salons/Spas: This category has really jumped on the Mother's Day bandwagon. When advising local businesses, suggest they create "special experiences" for mothers. For example, package services that have never been bundled together before like a "mother-daughter" treatment or a massage, facial and pedicure for the ultimate pampering. Or they can provide discounts like "free $15 products with every treatment".
- Dentists: Mothers' might take advantage of specials on teeth whitening and free electronic toothbrushes when coming in for cleanings or even discounted Invisalign packages.
- Automotive: With the need to take kids to school, sports, conferences and doctor appointments, motherhood tends to involve a lot of driving. You can target mechanics or garages to offer discounted oil changes or tire rotations. It would also be appealing to provide free car washes with maintenance over a certain dollar amount spent.