Radials or Snow Tires; Full or Hybrid - It’s in the Rubber
We were told upon the arrival of the sales and tech rep from the roller manufacturer that the $30,000 worth of rollers that were previously ordered and installed by my client were not compatible with full UV inks. The rep stated the rollers were indeed the manufacturer’s so-called convertible roller product—exactly like the rollers brand X and Z offer—yet they only have the ability to run conventional and hybrid UV inks. Wrong! Brand X and Z will run full UV inks!
Apparently, the customer had given the specifics to the roller manufacturer prior to the order, but the rep didn’t listen. This press was purchased and converted to run full UV plastic inks on Styrene 60 percent of the time while running conventional process on paper board for the remaining 40 percent.
Now remember, this printer is new to UV, so it was relying on the technical knowledge of the vendor to guide it in the direction needed. Well that didn’t happen!
To avoid additional delays and meet client project deadlines, the difficult decision was made to keep the rollers as is. After adjusting the chemistry to appease the rollers, we successfully went forward.
It’s very unfortunate in today’s times when the so-called “vendor partnerships” result in a disappointing and/or one-sided experience. You have to listen to and protect the needs of your clients or there will be a time when they go elsewhere!
Darren has worked in the printing industry for 30 years and spent more than 12 years at two of the nation's leading high-end commercial printers: Bradley Printing in Des Plaines, IL, and Williamson Printing Corp. in Dallas, TX. During that time, he operated conventional and UV 40˝ sheetfed presses and also successfully managed a $15-million pressroom equipment transition. Darren also was Lead Press Instructor for Heidelberg, where he directed specialty equipment startups and was involved in all aspects of the printing process by teaching both instructor and pressroom employees.
In addition, he served as a troubleshooter for various printing companies in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. As operations manager for a start-up specialty folding carton company, he played a key role in achieving more than $6 million in sales within two years. Currently Darren is president of D.G. Print Solutions, a consulting firm that supports printing companies of all sizes. He specializes in growth development planning, pressroom color management and pressroom training through specialty print applications.