Moving Sustainability from Niche to Normal
10. Make it tangible. Sustainability is harder to follow when you can’t see the trail. Find ways to help consumers see the unseeable and calculate the crazy calculus.
11. Make it easy to navigate. Eco-suspicion and eco-confusion need to be addressed with truth, transparency, and a very good road map.
12. Tap into hedonism over altruism. The green space can seem full of self-righteous killjoy moments and people. Help consumers see all the fun they can have on the green side of life.
The mainstream consumer is still the mainstream consumer. It’s time to forge a new era of sustainability marketing in which we marketers come to realize that “normal” is not a dirty word. Normal is mainstream, normal is popular and, above all, normal is the key to sustainability.
Download a copy (PDF) of “Mainstream Green” by Graceann Bennett & Freya Williams.
• Define their sustainability strategies,
• Deliver a positive, sustainable image,
• Gain credibility, trust and respect, and
• Measure the results of their green initiatives and actions.
Gail is a nationally recognized speaker on a wide range of subjects and brings enthusiasm and a unique blend of experience to the podium. As an industry analyst and journalist contributing to publications in the United States, Canada, India and Brazil, she has covered a number of beats, particularly sustainability in printing and mailing, print on demand, variable data printing and direct mail.