How Much Does it Cost to Have a Small Business Website?
- Basic website—$1,000-$2,000: this will essentially be an online brochure from a boilerplate template that allows prospects and customers to view products and services. It serves as a digital foundation for your online and print marketing efforts.
- Custom website—$2,500-$7,500: this fee will get you an attractive site that will meet your specific needs. You will get custom CSS and XHTML coding so the site will show up the same way on virtually every interface and will be optimized for Google, Yahoo! and Bing. What you won’t get is features for audience interactivity, ecommerce or content management.
- Content management system—$3,000-$8,500: the average is $5,750, depending on unique needs and extent of customization. The site will be designed with special attention to functionality and appearance. You will be able to manage and update content and images through the CMS interface (which saves money on outside help for future updates and expansions of the website!) and you can have an infinite number of pages.
- High-end package—$15,000-$100,000+: when ecommerce, social networking, advanced blogging and web application development are factored in, the cost of a website grows significantly. There are also fewer companies that can offer these services because coding is typically from scratch and application programming can be required. There is a major commitment of time to research, develop and implement the necessary software.
Important questions to answer that will affect costs:
- Is this a brand new site or redesign?
- Have the graphics been created for the site yet?
- Will the site be accessed by customers on mobile devices?
- Does your business require multimedia on the site—Flash, videos and other formats?
- How much content is ready and how much needs to be created?
- Do you need a blog or content management capability?
- What other special features do you need (e.g., social media channels, search engine optimization, e-commerce, etc.)?
- How will you maintain the site after it is launched?
- Do you have a detailed requirements document?