Going Beyond Certification to Making the List
• 98 percent paper waste from sheetfed and web presses is recycled, totaling 14,285 tons.
• Compliance with corporate environmental and social responsibility policies is a condition of employment.
• Purchased 12,547 tons of carbon offsets in 2009 to support the Makira Forest Initiative in Madagascar.
• Developed and implemented a “Client Education Program” that helps clients understand the benefits of choosing certified and recycled materials over virgin and non-certified fiber.
To learn what your peers are doing to go beyond chain-of-custody certification to become greener companies, read more here.
Canopy (formerly Markets Initiative) safeguards forests and the environment by harnessing the power of the marketplace and changing business practices. Specifically, Canopy drives North American demand for green paper products by shifting heavy paper consuming sectors away from unsustainable sources.
The organization works primarily with the book, newspaper, magazine and print industries to phase out the use of endangered forests and toxic bleaches in paper-making, make more environmental solutions available and reduce overall paper consumption.
• Define their sustainability strategies,
• Deliver a positive, sustainable image,
• Gain credibility, trust and respect, and
• Measure the results of their green initiatives and actions.
Gail is a nationally recognized speaker on a wide range of subjects and brings enthusiasm and a unique blend of experience to the podium. As an industry analyst and journalist contributing to publications in the United States, Canada, India and Brazil, she has covered a number of beats, particularly sustainability in printing and mailing, print on demand, variable data printing and direct mail.