Engage Audiences with Targeted Advertising on Social Media
Target professionals through LinkedIn
As a business networking site, LinkedIn has a unique ability to reach audiences by targeting their professional identities. This can be a big advantage for B2B marketers, especially because they can reach professionals quickly and programmatically. Along with targeting options for ads, the network also offers sponsored updates that allow companies to promote their content to specific audiences on LinkedIn in a similar manner as companies post sponsored tweets on Twitter and promote page posts on Facebook.
The targeting options offered by LinkedIn are detailed and specific. Brands can select audiences by companies, titles, job functions and seniority levels, in addition to the other geo-targeting options available on other platforms. When showing targeted ads, LinkedIn places up to three ads in each slot on the website. Ads are placed on the:
- Profile Pages: when members view the profile of other LinkedIn members.
- Home Pages: the pages members see when they sign in to LinkedIn.
- Inboxes: the pages where members see messages and invitations to connect.
- Search Results Pages: the pages that result when members are searched for by name.
- Groups: when members view pages in their group.
While creating ads, you can choose targeted member profiles based on their industries, job functions, seniority, geography, etc. You see an estimate of the audience size you’re able to reach. LinkedIn won’t show your ad to members who don’t meet the targeting criteria you specify. Create ads with clear and compelling messages to get maximum clicks. LinkedIn ads are made up of headlines, descriptions, URLs and images.
- Headline: Choose headlines that grab the attention of your target audiences. Think about their professional status, issues that they discuss in groups and their priorities to be able to connect immediately.
- Description: Think about why your prospects would notice your ads. Provide offers that have strong appeal and highlight benefits, whitepapers and content, free trials or demos. Adding active call-to-action phrases like try, download, sign up or get a quote can help improve conversions.
- Image: Include relevant images with bright colors to capture the attention of your audience. The maximum size of images is 50 pixels wide by 50 pixels high, so be sure that your images are clear at this size.
Beyond the information in this article, it is important to note that we need a balance in our marketing strategy. A healthy mix of advertising along with great content including videos, music, blogs, case studies and testimonials on social media is the best recipe for success. Along with spending dollars on targeted ad campaigns, marketers need to invest in sharing interesting stories that people want to watch/listen/share in their circles.