Back-to-School Marketing Trends and Tips
The back-to-school shopping season offers a shopping window of about 12 weeks to consumers and businesses have to be ready with their marketing campaigns right about now. Here are 6 tips to stand out.
1. Target the decision makers:
There is no doubt that moms set the budget, are the major influencers and, many times, are the final decision makers in this shopping season. That is why gearing your messages to mothers makes good sense. A survey by Parenting.com/Women & Co. shows that moms' highest back-to-school priority is their children's clothing, with nine out of ten moms agreeing they spend more money on their children's fall wardrobes than on their own. Some of the top criteria for busy mothers are: budget, quality and ease of shopping. This message "More school for your money" by Walmart caters to one of the main concerns of the target audience.
2. Follow buyers online:
As research prior to buying is increasing done online, it is mandatory to have an updated website. The growth in usage of social networking sites and mobile devices has significantly increased consumers buying clout. The internet is the constant companion to consumers and they are accessing it 24/7 to help them with their purchasing decisions. You can reach these customers with formats such as:
- Creating interactive apps that become utilities for buyers' shopping experiences.
- Offering coupons and discounts for special needs or to encourage particular behavior.
- Sharing and updating digital catalogs as people like to browse to check out latest trends.
- Organizing your website by segregating items for different needs and age groups.
The Office Depot website is a great example as it has items organized by school grade with deals highlighted in each section.
3. Use email marketing for effective reach:
Emails are an excellent way to contact parents with kids of different age groups with custom messages for their distinct needs.