7 Reasons Why I Hate Your Website
It Annoys Users
Forcing me to wait through a two-minute Flash "intro" before I can even get to your site will really annoy me. Almost as bad is making me click on an "enter site" button. I AM on your site, so why do I have to ENTER it?
Other things that annoy your users:
- Music that plays as soon as I enter your site so I have to frantically mute my computer while coworkers raise their heads and look around
- Cluttered design with little white space and too many different elements
- Bright clashing colors or light text on dark background to give me a headache
- Lots of Flash, so that getting to your "management team" page feels like a complicated and difficult game
- Your website takes so long to load I can make myself a fresh cup of tea while I'm waiting
It Does Not Feel Real
Your website should look and feel like your business and help me trust you. These don't help:
- Stock photos of models that don't look like your actual employees
- Stilted language that reads like a legal document or a press release that was written in the 80s
- No testimonials or client names or press coverage or product pictures anywhere: are you an actual business?
- Product pictures that look old or blurry
- Lack of consistency: across pages or with your brand
It's Difficult to Find Information on
Is information on your site easy to find? At first glance, can a new visitor spot how to get to your contact page (or give you a call), find out more about your services, know your business hours, and send you a message through the website? If you're a restaurant, can I get to your menu in two clicks or less?