Vistaprint Reports Lower Income on Double-Digit Revenue Increase
VENLO, NETHERLANDS—Oct. 27, 2011—Vistaprint N.V. announced its financial results for the three-month period ended Sept. 30, 2011, the first quarter of its 2012 fiscal year.
“First-quarter revenue and earnings met our expectations, and our full year is off to a good start,” said Robert Keane, president and CEO. “This was a quarter of solid performance against our plan. Four months into our multiyear plan, we remain confident that we are making the right decisions in funding our long-term strategy for growth and competitive advantage. This quarter we made disciplined investments designed to better position us to capture what we believe to be a large opportunity, and build a strong company for many years to come.”
• Revenue for the first quarter of fiscal year 2012 grew to $212.4 million, a 25 percent increase over revenue of $170.5 million reported in the same quarter a year ago. Excluding the estimated impact from currency exchange rate fluctuations, total revenue grew 20 percent from the same quarter a year ago.
• Operating income in the first quarter was $9.7 million, or 4.6 percent of revenue, and reflected a 21 percent decrease compared to operating income of $12.3 million, or 7.2 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago.
• GAAP net income for the first quarter was $8.2 million, or 3.8 percent of revenue, representing a 24 percent decrease compared to $10.8 million, or 6.3 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago. Non-GAAP adjusted net income for the first quarter, which excludes share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect, was $13.0 million, or 6.1 percent of revenue, representing a 20 percent decrease compared to non-GAAP adjusted net income of $16.3 million, or 9.6 percent of revenue, in the same quarter a year ago.
• Capital expenditures in the first quarter were $11.0 million or 5.2 percent of revenue.
• During the first quarter, the company generated $30.5 million of cash from operations and $17.8 million in free cash flow, defined as cash from operations less purchases of property, plant and equipment, purchases of intangible assets, and capitalization of software and website development costs.
Vistaprint acquired approximately 1.9 million new customers in the first fiscal quarter ended September 30, 2011.
On a trailing 12-month basis, unique active customer count was 11.9 million. (Unique active customer count is the number of individual customers who purchased from us in a given period, with no regard to the frequency of purchase.)
Total order volume in the first quarter of fiscal 2012 was approximately 5.9 million, reflecting an increase of approximately 18 percent over total orders of approximately 5.0 million in the same quarter a year ago.
Average order value in the first quarter including revenue from shipping and processing was $36.38, compared to $34.69 in the same quarter a year ago.
Revenue from customers in North America was $118.7 million, or 56 percent of total revenue in the first quarter. This represents 17 percent growth year over year in reported terms and in constant currency.
During the quarter, Staples and Vistaprint started working together to bring a full suite of high-quality printed products to Staples customers, allowing them to create unique marketing materials and develop customized business cards and stationery. This new strategic partnership provides the opportunity to extend our reach on staples.com and in approximately 1,600 Staples retail locations across the U.S.
On October 24, 2011, Vistaprint entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Albumprinter Holding B.V., a privately held Dutch photo book company for EURO60.0 million payable at closing and up to an additional EURO5.0 million subject to a performance based earn-out.
Financial Guidance as of October 27, 2011:
Vistaprint’s financial guidance is as of Oct. 27, 2011 and does not include estimates for our pending acquisition of Albumprinter, which has not yet closed. Based on current and anticipated levels of demand and recent foreign currency rates, the company expects the following financial results:
• For the full fiscal year ending June 30, 2012, the company expects revenue of approximately $960 million to $1,010 million, or 18 percent to 24 percent growth year over year in reported terms and approximately 18 percent to 24 percent in constant-currency terms. Constant-currency growth expectations assume a recent 30-day currency exchange rate for all currencies.
• For the second fiscal quarter ending Dec. 31, 2011, the company expects revenue of approximately $270 million to $290 million, or 15 percent to 24 percent growth year over year in reported terms and approximately 15 percent to 24 percent in constant-currency terms.
For the full fiscal year ending June 30, 2012, the company expects to make capital expenditures of approximately $60 million to $75 million. Planned capital investments are designed to support the planned growth of the business.
The foregoing guidance supersedes any guidance previously issued by the company. All such previous guidance should no longer be relied upon.
Vistaprint N.V. (Nasdaq:VPRT) empowers more than 11 million micro businesses and consumers annually with affordable, professional options to make an impression. With a unique business model supported by proprietary technologies, high-volume production facilities, and direct marketing expertise, Vistaprint offers a wide variety of products and services that micro businesses can use to expand their business. A global company, Vistaprint employs over 3,100 people, operates 25 localized websites globally and ships to more than 120 countries around the world.