Galmere Fresh Foods Solves Promotional Challenge with New Packaging Solution - PODi Case Study
Vertical Market: Food Manufacturing
Business Application: Digital Packaging
Galmere Fresh Foods manufactures fresh soups, premium salads and sandwich fillers. Its brands include Coppingers and Galmere. All of its products are packaged using folding carton sleeves over plastic tubs.
Galmere needed a new packaging solution that would allow it to:
- Change packaging as needed to introduce new ingredients or seasonal products.
- Project a quality image that was consistent with its branding.
- Produce shorter runs to avoid packaging waste.
All folding carton sleeves are now produced via digital print. This new solution enables Galmere to:
- Keep the attention of consumers in a highly competitive market by introducing new or seasonal products with eye-catching packaging.
- Improve packaging quality by printing special promotions right on the packaging instead of using awkward labels.
- Increase the speed to market for new packaging designs. The lead time for new designs when using offset lithography can average three to four weeks. With digital print new designs can be in production as soon as artwork is received.
- Reduce inventory costs as carton sleeves are printed on demand eliminating the need to warehouse large pallets of packaging or waste obsolete designs.
Digital Packaging Solution
To keep consumers’ interest, Galmere wanted to change the range of its products on a regular basis by introducing new ingredients. However, Galmere’s lithographic supplier insisted that it must run 50,000 units per order. As the order quantities for packaging were so high, Galmere was left with many pallets of unused packaging.
On-pack offers, like flash pricing, were in high-demand from retailors which led to labels being applied by hand for special offer pricing. This was problematic as labels could cover important product information or Galmere’s branding.
Esmark Finch Limited offered Galmere an on-demand digital packaging solution. With this new process Galmere could react to market demand by updating package designs. It also could have promotions printed directly on the packaging instead of using mediocre labels.
Reasons for Success
Initial adoption among product lines was slow. However, once management saw the advantages of increased speed to market, on pack promotions and lack of packaging obsolescence they soon switched all packaging requirements to Esmark Finch.
PODi is a global, member-supported not-for-profit organization. The PODi library consists of over 500 digital printing and marketing case studies from around the world.
© 2013, W. Caslon & Company. All rights reserved.