Faux Pocket Portfolio Mailer: 60-Second Fold of the Week
Oh, do we have a good one for you this week! This Faux Pocket Mailer uses a simple broadside format trick to create the look of a custom folder with inserts. The six-piece personalized mail package was produced entirely in-house at SPC in Niles, Ill., for Best Friends Animal Society, and there's a bit of magic behind the production as well.
Trish will explain how this innovative, personalized multi-part package could possibly be produced cost effectively in low quantities and without any hand assembly. If you mail ANYTHING, you have to see this week's episode.
How was this Faux Pocket Portfolio Mailer created?
- Folding Style: 8-pg. Broadside with Inverted Short Fold and Inserts
- Print Production: Specialty Print Communications, Niles, Ill. (Joel Kaufman)
- Client: Best Friends Animal Society
- Size: Flat (Carrier): 11x12.5"; Folded 5.5x 8.5"
- Finishing: Multi-part assembly using a Ga-Vehren Attaching/Tipping System
- Notes: 6-piece direct mail package includes outer envelope (VDP), letter (VDP), carrier, response card (VDP), response envelope, static brochure using two different stocks (coated and uncoated). Can be produced cost-efficiently in both short- and long-run print and finishing scenarios.
- Budget Rating: Low–Moderate
Trish Witkowski shares her super-cool folding samples and helpful production tips. View the “60-second Super-cool Fold of the Week” archive at www.foldfactory.com.
Trish Witkowski is Chief Folding Fanatic at the online community foldfactory.com. She holds a bachelor of fine arts degree in graphic design and a master of science degree in Graphic Arts Publishing from Rochester Institute of Technology's School of Printing Management and Sciences (now the School of Print Media).
An award-winning designer, Trish held the position of creative director for a Baltimore-based agency for six years, and has taught design and desktop publishing at the college level. She has a specialized expertise in the area of folding and is the creator of the FOLDRite™ system, a 2004 GATF InterTech™ Technology Award winner.
Trish frequently publishes articles for graphic arts industry publications, and has written three books on the topic of folding: A Field Guide to Folding, Folding for the Graphic Arts: A Teacher's Handbook, and FOLD: The Professional's Guide to Folding.