Canon U.S.A. Launches Updated Managed Document Services Program
MELVILLE, NY—January 7, 2014—Canon U.S.A. unveiled an updated, end-to-end program to deliver Canon Managed Document Services (MDS). At the core of the new program is the availability of the MDS Cloud Platform, which provides tools and services to help businesses design, implement and centrally manage the infrastructure and processes that support the flow and output of printed and electronic documents. The enhancements will be offered through Canon U.S.A and the Canon Dealer Channel, allowing Canon Dealerships to support end-to-end MDS customer engagements and help augment their current program.
"Until now, implementing a Managed Document Services program typically required an investment in different software applications, as well as several employees to manage and administer that software," said Sam Yoshida, vice president and general manager, Marketing, Business Imaging Solutions Group, Canon U.S.A. "MDS Cloud helps automate many functions that have previously required multiple systems or manual processes, and pulls it all together into a centralized management system delivered over the cloud."
Companies can more easily reduce the total cost of ownership and operation, improve device availability to users and streamline business processes through Canon's updated and comprehensive Managed Document Services program. Canon MDS consists of a global methodology and menu of customized onsite and cloud-based offerings that allow both flexibility and consistency in design and scalability.
"The key to efficient and effective basic MPS delivery is offering an integrated, cloud-based fleet management infrastructure, which the new Canon program accomplishes," said Ed Crowley, CEO and founder of Photizo Group. "Canon's MDS Cloud offering is a comprehensive program that includes not only basic fleet management, but also Advanced Document Services, resulting in a very complete end-to-end Managed Document Services offering. We at Photizo Group advocate for the importance of integrating the dealer ERP with the fleet management infrastructure, which Canon's new program also accomplishes. As with most things, the secret to success is in the execution, so I am anxious to see how the program is deployed. But clearly, in terms of comprehensiveness, Canon has launched a very nice and very comprehensive program."
The updated Canon MDS program is built upon the company's proven Managed Document Services methodology and program, which launched worldwide in 2009. The Canon MDS approach provides a single source of accountability at each stage of a managed services engagement, including Discover, Design; Implement and Transition; Support and Manage; and Review. The new updates to the Canon MDS program build upon this foundation with a comprehensive suite of services to benefit clients at every stage, from controlling the fleet to business process optimization.
At the start of a MDS engagement, Canon and Canon Authorized Dealers will conduct a discovery assessment using remote monitoring software and user surveys that help determine the current costs and capabilities of the existing document output environment. Going beyond basic meter counts, Canon's discovery assessment services can provide a detailed, thorough and accurate view not only of a client's assets, but also the unique needs and behaviors driving workflows in that particular business.
Using the results of the discovery assessment as a guide, Canon and Canon Authorized Dealers can develop a hardware and software solutions plan to help the client achieve its workflow goals; reduce inefficiencies; address over- and underutilized devices; reduce print, service and supply costs and increase document accessibility and security for onsite, remote and mobile employees.
Implement and Transition
Before any new hardware is installed or document workflow solution is implemented, Canon and Canon Authorized Dealers can help prepare staff with a clear communications strategy that outlines the transition. Users are trained to use new devices, as well as the new document workflow processes. The entire change management process is supported by monitoring users on an ongoing basis, quickly identifying potential roadblocks during deployment and resolving issues with additional training or adjustments to the plan.
Support and Manage
Maintaining the health of the fleet and supporting users on a day-to-day basis are at the heart of the Canon MDS program.
Designed to help clients stay focused on their core business while removing the resources and time required to manage their print infrastructure, Canon's available service delivery offerings include:
- MDS Remote Monitoring Service through the MDS Cloud. MDS Cloud is a new, cloud-based offering hosted at Canon Business Imaging Online that helps reduce internal IT resources by automating many functions that have typically required multiple systems or manual processes, including meter read collection, supply level management and break/fix service alerts for Canon and non-Canon devices. The MDS Cloud further helps reduce the deployment and management time of Canon technology through the ability to remotely change device configurations and user settings. MDS Cloud will have integration with Digital Gateway, Inc's e-automate software, the leading ERP software system servicing tool used by many Dealers today. DGI's e-automate software is an integrated system used by office equipment Dealers to manage business that features sales, service, purchasing, inventory, contract management and accounting tools. This integration provides fast customer support and easy billing through Canon's Dealer channel.
- MDS Cloud Intelligence Portal, another new service of the Canon MDS Cloud, turns device and user data into actionable intelligence. The intuitive, easy-to-read dashboards and customizable reports can help administrators identify trends and quickly pinpoint the equipment, supply and usage pattern changes needed to improve productivity and reduce costs. MDS Cloud Intelligence Portal architecture can be utilized on its own, or can be integrated with other third-party data collection software solutions to further enhance their capabilities. Canon U.S.A. is a new member of the PrintFleet LINK program. Through participation in the LINK program, MDS Cloud and PrintFleet technologies will offer tighter integration with both solutions in the near future. MDS Cloud integrations with other data collection solutions are also under development for release in 2014.
- MDS Total Managed Care Program, a new, proactive supplies and service fulfillment offering, manages supply levels and service requirements on devices in the fleet. It also predicts when and where new supplies will be needed and ships them to the department or user before they run out. Canon offers helpdesk services to triage potential service issues and provide national service coverage across a mixed manufacturer line of desktop devices under contract.
- Enterprise and Production Output Management, featuring uniFLOW software from NT-Ware, provides many advanced management tools for output, including granular level reporting by device, user, department and application. Administrators can set rules for printing based on corporate or department policies or objectives, so that print jobs are sent to the device or central reprographic department best suited for each job. uniFLOW also offers "follow-me" secure printing for easy print and retrieval on most devices across the network.
- Content Management and Workflow featuring Therefore delivers document management basics, such as storage, version control and expiration, as well as advanced content management functions, such as designing procedures and guidelines around document creation, workflow, security and access. With Therefore, manual paper workflows can be replaced with streamlined, automated processes that support users' needs for business process optimization within their organizations.
- Mobile Services include several cloud-based and peer-to-peer solutions for mobile device users in the office to securely print from their laptop, tablet or smartphone. During an MDS engagement, customers can be deployed and trained with an optimized mobile solution that is seamlessly integrated with their mobile strategy.
- Security Services can provide clients with security improvements to their current document and information infrastructure and be developed to secure information at the device, on the document, or throughout the network. Fleets can be enabled for secure printing using PIN codes or proximity/swipe cards to release print jobs. Documents containing certain keywords can be flagged and monitored to identify when, where and by whom they were accessed.
- Further intelligence can be provided to customers via ongoing quarterly business reviews in order to stay on top of a client's changing document management needs. During these reviews, standardized reports will be provided that analyze printing and document workflow patterns and detect trends regarding specific devices or departments. By monitoring changes in page volumes, supply shipments, service errors and calls on a regular basis, Canon and Canon Authorized Dealers can pinpoint issues quickly and propose solutions that not only address current requirements, but also help plan for future print and document management needs.
The Canon MDS Program is available from Canon U.S.A. or through Canon's Authorized Dealers. Prices for solutions and services are determined by the size and scope of each client engagement and the specific offerings selected.
About Canon U.S.A.
Canon U.S.A. is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business and industrial digital imaging solutions. With approximately $40 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents registered in 2012 and is one of Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies in 2013. In 2013, Canon U.S.A. has received the PCMag.com Readers’ Choice Award for Service and Reliability in the digital camera and printer categories for the tenth consecutive year and for camcorders for the past three years. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility.
Source: Canon U.S.A.