Bill's Reading List - Short Attention Span Sales Tip
I can’t honestly say that I am a reader because that’s not entirely accurate. I am more of a listener in that I have an Audible account — one which allows me one book per month. Because I hate wasting money, the only way I can listen to the book is to go for a walk. Thus, I get my exercise in frequently!
I am often asked either what I am reading or what books will help improve on sales skills. The books that I most frequently recommend are not business books written for salespeople, but rather self-help books from which I gain a lot of knowledge regarding things like human nature and motivation, which helps me to sell more and advise better. Here are a few:
- "How to Win Friends and Influence People" — By far my number one recommendation. Every top sales rep that I know has read this book not just once but multiple times;
- "The Five Elements Of Effective Thinking" — A very interesting and helpful book that will help you to examine issues and challenges from different angles and with a different perspective, often resulting in a different answer than what was expected;
- "The Five Love Languages" — This book has nothing to do with sales but everything to do with human relationships, which in turn will help you with your sales. It talks about the different ways that all of us receive love. It will help you to understand that you need to communicate differently with different customers based on how they receive what you’re trying to say;
- "The Four Agreements" — Another go-to book that I find myself reading five or six times a year. It makes four basic points that get to the core of human behavior and often provide an answer when I’m looking to find out what I’m doing wrong;
- "Integrity" — This is more of a management book but a good read for salespeople just the same;
- "StrengthsFinder" — This book along with Wellbeing were written by Tom Rath. Both focus on human nature and happiness and will give you a different angle on the subject of relating to others;
- "Re-Awaken the Giant Within" — This is a free download of a book written by Tony Robbins. It’s another one of those self-help books that has little to do with sales but a lot to do with psychology of relationships and communication;
- There was one more that they talked about on the CBS morning show this past Monday written by a Harvard professor called, Wait ... What? I have not read it so I really cannot recommend but I’ll get back to you as it sounds intriguing.
It’s important to note that these are not just books that I have read but rather books that I am actively reading again and again. Every time I pick one up and look over a few pages or a few chapters, there is a different take-away.
I go into a deeper dive in the video if you’re interested in getting more information on one of these books. This should keep you busy for the summer!
Want more? Need sales? Check out the new SalesPro Fundamentals certification course at www.idealliance.org/salespro-fundamentals/
Need more sales activity? Go to: www.The90DaySalesBlitz.com
Bill Farquharson can be reached at (781) 934-7036 or email@example.com