Appleton Coated Reveals Winning Printers in the 2016 U360 Design Competition
COMBINED LOCKS, Wis. — September 20, 2016 — Appleton Coated congratulates the U360 Design Competition’s 2016 winners and presents them in "Peak," the new printed showbook, which is also featured in a online gallery at appletoncoated.com. Five creative professionals from the Appleton Coated Design Council evaluated hundreds of entries and selected the best examples demonstrating the impact of well-executed print.
"Reaching the peak of creativity is never a safe and orderly endeavor. It is a determined effort," says Ferkó Goldinger, Appleton Coated’s marketing manager. "These visionary victors guided the best ideas upwards with excellent execution. The winning entries exemplify the showbook’s theme of 'Peak.' It showcases work that bends print to its creative will and creates lasting impressions that leave the viewer elevated. There’s only room for a few at the peak. The U360 Showbook celebrates those who blazed new trails, crossed more chasms, and set their sights high."
Now in its eighth year, U360 celebrates design, content and printing excellence, and all that paper makes possible. Appleton Coated introduced U360 in 2009 as a new, professionally-reviewed North American competition. It evolved from the successful legacy of the U B the Judge event-based, peer-judged format.
Special awards honor entries in the categories of Best of Show, Design Excellence, Print Excellence, Communication Excellence and Regional Excellence.
Best of Show
“Nick Cave: Greetings From Detroit;” designed by Faust, Chicago; printed by Graphic Arts Studio, Lake Barrington, Ill.; paper grade is Utopia Premium Gloss 150-llb cover.
“Greetings from Detroit is very much about materiality as is relates to form and aesthetic as I was trying to convey the artists’ attention to similar levels of detail choices in his own work. Each board or page was created as a triple laminated sheet, the top being Utopia Premium Gloss,” states Bob Faust, principal of Faust.
Design Excellence Award
“Beyond the Fleeting Moment — Wilco Concert Posters 2004-2014”; designed by Amy Klee, Nahant, Mass.; printed by J.S. McCarthy Printers, Augusta, Maine; paper grade is Utopia Two Matte 100-llb text.
Print Excellence Award
“One Place Two Decades;” designed by Tsang Seymour Design, New York, New York; printed by Shapco Printing, Minneapolis; paper grade is Utopia Premium Silk 115-llb. text.
“We selected Utopia for our 'One Place' project because we were looking for a solid, high performance sheet that would offer high fidelity reproduction for both four-color process and duotone printing. This title showcases the work of three design professionals — all of them have a keen eye for color, balance, materials and texture. We knew that Utopia would give us everything we needed to complete our vision with superior results on press and bindery finishing,” adds Patrick Seymour, principal at Tsang Seymour.
Communication Excellence Award
“Alternative Apparel Fall 2015;” designed by Alternative Apparel, Norcross, Georgia; printed by Prographics, Inc., Atlanta; paper grades are U2:XG Matte 100-llb. cover and U2:XG Matte 80-pound text.
The additional 2016 winning entries are:
- “Akris Look Book Fall/Winter 2015-16;” designed by Akris, New York, New York; printed by A Marcus Group, New York, New York; paper grade is Utopia Premium Gloss 115-llb. text.
- “Timberland Fall Catalog 2015”; designed by Timberland, Stratham, N.H.; printed by RR Donnelley, Bedford, Mass.; paper grades are U2XG Matte 65-llb cover and 70-llb text.
- “Moo Catalog;” designed by Moo Inc., Lincoln, R.I.; printed by Allied Printing, Manchester, Conn.; paper grades are U2XG Matte 100-llb cover and 100-llb
- “Black & Veatch, 100 Year Anniversary Book;" designed by Design Ranch, Kansas City, Mo; printed by Hennegan, Florence, Ky.; paper grade is U2:XG Dull 100-llb text.
- “Radiance;” designed by TBWA, New York, New York; printed by Hatteras, Tinton Falls, N.J.; paper grade is Utopia Two Gloss 100-llb text.
- “55 West 17th;” designed by Toll Brothers, Horsham, Pa.; printed by CRW Graphics, Pennsauken, N.J.; paper grades are Utopia Premium Ivory Silk in 110-llb cover and U2:XG Ivory Matte 100-llb text.
Entries receiving regional excellence
- East — “NetJets 50th Anniversary Book;” designed by NetJets, New York, New York; printed by Spire, Boston; paper grade is U1X Matte 100-llb text.
- West — “Wheels4Water;” designed by Rule29, Geneva, Ill.; printed by O’Neil Printing, Phoenix; paper grade is Utopia Premium Silk 90-llb cover. "We chose Utopia Premium because the color reproduction and quality of the surface is the best of all coated sheets. We know that it will print beautifully,” says Justin Ahrens, principal and creative director, Rule29.
The 2016 Appleton Coated Design Council members are:
- Justin Ahrens, creative director, Rule29 in Geneva, Ill.
- Cristina Beguiristain, lead, global marketing, Royal Caribbean International in Miami
- Paul Charbonnier, production manager, Northeastern University in Boston
- Yang Kim, creative director, Peopledesign in Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Mike Wildman, vice president creative services, Muscular Dystrophy Association in Chicago
For more information about Appleton Coated, order a copy of the U360 Showbook, or find out more about our coated and uncoated papers, visit appletoncoated.com.
About Appleton Coated
Appleton Coated is a manufacturer and distributor of coated, uncoated, specialty and technical papers sold under the Ethos, Utopia, and other brand names. The company’s products are used in high-end commercial printing, textbook publishing, label papers, transactional printing and a variety of specialty and custom applications. Selling through a chain of highly respected paper distributors, the company serves corporations, publishers, printers, converters, and graphic designers in North America. Since 1889, Appleton Coated has been headquartered in Combined Locks, Wis.
Source: Appleton Coated.