You Are an AWESOME Boss!
By way of an apology for last week’s blog, in which some of you may have taken what I said personally…Ah—who am I kidding? If you took it personally I probably did you a favor and helped you shine some light on your behavior and helped you mend your ways (or something like that).
But THIS week, I want to help you celebrate all the ways that you ROCK! Here are just a few of the things you can do (or hopefully ARE doing) to be a kick-ass leader…
- You celebrate and recognize the accomplishments of your team members, no matter how low on your totem pole.
- You apologize when you are wrong.
- You listen.
- You ask your team members what they think about an issue that is important to you.
- You are always willing and ready to answer the question, “Why?”
- You understand that not everyone learns and develops in the same way and at the same pace, and you adjust your management style to accommodate those differences.
- You lead by example.
- You understand that there is always room for improvement, especially for yourself.
- You regularly provide constructive feedback and learning opportunities for everyone on your team.
- You provide working families the flexibility and support to excel at their jobs while achieving balance at home.
Funny thing is, I could go on and on about ways that you can be a great boss. And I think that’s a good thing, because it was way easier to write this piece than it was to write the one about the ways that you suck. Please chime in here with ways that you are proud of the job that you are doing as someone’s boss. Or, if you have a boss who rocks, please tell us how and why!
THANKS! You rock!