The True future of Media Convergence is Based on People!
As I have stated in this space, there are many faces to convergence—Media, Vertical, Practices and, yes, People. You cannot expect anyone to support your business if you do not focus on the customer and, in our fast-moving world, keep your customer close and informed.
Here are two different events that support the concept of customer convergence with a singular focus on the customer—now and in the future.
NYU – Prism Award Luncheon
This yearly event celebrates and honors those who have made this industry into something worth more than anyone can imagine. The event also serves to introduce attendees to New York University (NYU) graduate students—the future executives of our profession. The students that NYU’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) educates are part of the people convergence, the needed future of our industry. These students are well-educated, grounded in more than business basics and, based on those who I’ve met, just plan nice people. You can build a business on technology, price, product and more. But no business, no matter how great, can survive without the correct mix of people.
Here are some powerful facts and suggestions that you should know about this event:
- 95 percent of the students are working full-time, part-time, or as interns while they earn their degree.
- The NYU Prism Award Luncheon, sponsored by the Advisory Board of the M.A. in Graphic Communications Management and Technology (GCMT), has raised more than $5,000,000 for student scholarships over the past 27 years.
- 53 percent of the board members teach, guest lecture, or mentor the students.
- Looking for talent: Consider the NYU GCMT students for positions and internships at your company.
- Recommend a new student: If you’d like to recommend an employee or colleague for this graduate program, contact Bonnie Blake, Academic Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the program: To support student scholarships, e-mail email@example.com
Graphic Communications Scholarship Foundation (GCSF) and the APC–NYC Awards Event
I am a board member of both the APC-NYC and GCSF, but even when I wasn’t a board member, I was a supporter. These two forward-looking groups provide local students with supplemental funding to help them as graphic designers, creative types, and publishing, advertising, and production students to live their dream. With the funds provided by these two groups, those who are awarded grants enter a long-term partnership of working—converging with industry-related segments, as well as those who will represent the client, publisher and agency. The students also support the future by mentoring other students. That is a real win-win!
Awarding money is a good thing. This year, the GCSF and the APC-NYC supported 37 students with grants provided by many corporate sponsors and supporters. As important as the money may be, the mentoring support offered by both groups is invaluable.
Consider converging your checkbook with the checkbooks of both the GCSF and APC-NYC by donating to the future. You can contribute and support both organizations at www.gcscholarships.org.