WG Anderson Unveils Newest KBA Large-Format Rapida 145April 30, 2012
The new press was installed at WG Anderson’s new 175,000 sq ft facility in Newton, Iowa, outside of Des Moines, which was purchased in February 2011. Anderson required the additional space with the continual growth of its business and to better serve its customers. After several months of transforming the facility into a packaging plant, the Rapida 145 arrived in August 2011. “KBA has been a genuine partner with us,” says Anderson. “They continue to be supportive and offer on-site training as we bring new press operators onboard. It was imperative to have them by our side to support the start-up of the new press in a new facility. The installation and start-up went very smoothly and at this point, the Rapida 145 is operating with two shifts and soon moving to a three-shift operation.”
Anderson reveals that the press crew cites the user-friendliness of the Rapida 145 and its ability to pre-set different options as their most popular features. The crew is utilizing board stock from 16 pt to 32 pt on press with substrates such as CRB and CUK.
Another important feature of the Rapida 145 is its focus on being environmentally-friendly, an important consideration made by WG Anderson. The press’s new technology provides power savings and decreased power consumption as well as shorter makereadies to reduce waste as well as energy-saving KBA VariDryBLUE dryers.
Press investment is a selling tool
“KBA is paying attention to putting a quality press on the market that is needed,” says Anderson. ““We’re already seeing tremendous customer interest with our large-format Rapida 145 due to its new technology. The investment in this press is a selling tool for our company.”
At Drupa 2012, KBA will unveil to the public for the very first time a plinth-mounted six-color Rapida 145 with new coater, triple-length extended delivery and automated pile logistics. The Drupa model Rapida 145 will be equipped with many of these impressive features:
- Maximum production speed of 17,000sph in straight printing with the high-speed package
- 15,000 sph in perfecting mode with the new three-drum perfecting unit
- DriveTronic SIS sidelay-free infeed and DriveTronic SPC direct drives for fast, simultaneous plate changing
- CleanTronic Synchro system (two washing beams) for simultaneous washing of ink rollers, blankets and impression cylinders parallel to plate changing,
- CleanTronic ReInk, a new system for extremely fast inking unit washing
- New coater with simultaneous coating form changing (DriveTronic SFC)
- Fast, one-man replacement of the exchangeable anilox roller sleeves (AniSleeve)
- New AirTronic delivery with high-level Venturi sheet guiding
- Dynamic sheet brake
- Console-based preset capabilities
- New HighFlow Chamber blade chamber for the coating system
- New ErgoTronic console with wall screen, picture-in-picture function and integrated color measurement and control system (QualiTronic ColorControl) for quality monitoring
- QualiTronic ICR inline register control
- QualiTronic PDF provides an inline comparison between the print result and the original PDF file
- Energy-saving KBA VariDryBLUE dryers
About Walter G. Anderson
Founded in 1950, Walter G. Anderson has grown to be the leading independent supplier of folding cartons in the upper Midwest. Walter G. Anderson’s manufacturing facilities in Hamel, Minnesota and Newton, Iowa are among the most modern folding carton plants in the industry. The latest technology is utilized to bring high quality, fast turnaround and low cost on a wide variety of substrates. Its veteran, highly-skilled workforce provides its customers with prompt service and the highest quality. Our commitment to reinvesting enables us to grow, as we meet and exceed our customers demand for flexibility and responsiveness. We are proud of our accomplishments, and strive to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction. We’ve been recognized by Berry Plastics, Cargill, and Hormel. Our participation in AIB, GMA-SAFE, and G7 affirms our commitment to good manufacturing practices.
KBA North America is located in Dallas and a member of the KBA Group. Established almost 200 years ago in Wuerzburg, Germany, Koenig & Bauer AG (KBA) is the oldest and second largest press manufacturer worldwide. KBA's banner, 'People & Print', reflects its dual focus as a leading innovator for print entrepreneurs. The group's product range is the broadest in the industry; its portfolio includes commercial and newspaper web presses, sheetfed offset presses in all format classes, inkjet systems and presses, special presses for banknotes, securities, metal-decorating, smart cards and discs.