Vistaprint Takes Income Hit on Double-Digit Revenue Gain
VENLO, THE NETHERLAND—Apr 26, 2012—Vistaprint N.V. announced financial results for the three month period ended March 31, 2012, the third quarter of its 2012 fiscal year.
“We delivered another solid quarter of revenue growth in the third quarter,” said Robert Keane, president and CEO. “We continue to progress against our five-year objectives announced just nine months ago. Revenue was in the upper half of our guidance range with particular strength in new customer acquisition numbers and in North America, where we are further along with the execution of our long-term strategy initiatives.
“Our earnings per share upside was due to several factors, some of which are timing related, but some of which improve our earnings outlook for the full year,” Keane added
Financial Metrics (include Albumprinter and Webs results unless otherwise stated):
- Revenue for the third quarter of fiscal year 2012 grew to $257.6 million, a 26 percent increase over revenue of $203.7 million reported in the same quarter a year ago. Excluding Albumprinter and Webs combined revenue of $14.0 million, total third quarter revenue was $243.6 million.
- Revenue from customers in North America was $142.0 million, or 55 percent of total revenue in the third quarter. This represents 23 percent growth year over year in both reported terms and in constant currency. Excluding Webs revenue of $2.3 million, revenue from customers in North America was $139.7 million, or 57 percent of total organic revenue in the third quarter. This represents 21 percent growth year over year in both reported terms and constant currency.
- Operating income in the third quarter was $7.8 million, or 3.0 percent of revenue, and reflected a 69 percent decrease compared to $25.6 million, or 12.6 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago.
- GAAP net income for the third quarter was $0.3 million, or 0.1 percent of revenue, representing a 99 percent decrease compared to $22.9 million, or 11.3 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income for the third quarter was $11.2 million, or 4.4 percent of revenue, representing a 60 percent decrease compared to $28.2 million, or 13.8 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago. Non-GAAP adjusted net income excludes $2.4 million of amortization expense for acquisition-related intangible assets, $1.0 million of tax charges related to the alignment of acquisition-related intellectual property with global operations, and $7.6 million of share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect.