Graph Expo 2010: Sheetfed/Web Litho Printing - Diagnosis: ‘Iron’ DeficiencyOctober 2010 By Mark Michelson
Similarly, KBA emphasized its Service Select program, which encompasses an array of packages and solutions customized to a customer's exact needs and budgets. Product solutions include statistical analysis; evaluation programs for production, workflow, color management, pressroom and press operating procedures; training for optimizing press operation or learning new processes such as UV, plastic, coating and other techniques; machine audits; remote maintenance with 24/7 online and phone support; press relocation programs; and upgrade components for presses already in the field.
During a press conference, KBA Vice President of Corporate Marketing Eric Frank mentioned several 41˝ and larger format sheetfed press sales nearing completion, building on installations at Card Pak, Boehmer Box, Hammer Packaging, Meredith-Webb and Meyers. Also of interest is KBA's new 16-page C16 commercial web press and its new service offering in partnership with ClimatePartner that calculates the greenhouse gas (CO2) emissions generated during production runs.
Goss International promoted its new variable repeat Sunday Vpak packaging presses designed for folding carton and label applications, and new Universal newspaper and semi-commercial models.
Goss also used Graph Expo to announce the sale of the first Sunday 3000 web press with an extended 75˝ web width to Waseca, MN-based Brown Printing. The four-unit, 32-page press can produce saddlestitched and perfect bound products up to 9˝ wide, a first for single-circumference web presses.
In addition, Dartmouth Printing, Hanover, NH, ordered a nine-unit, two-web Sunday 2000, and St. Louis Park, MN-based Japs-Olson acquired an eight-unit Sunday 2000 equipped with Autoplate and Automatic Transfer technologies.
Nothing Without Ink
A sampling of other lithographic pressroom products highlighted:
• Sun Chemical featured its new spot color ink dispenser program, which can decrease a commercial printer's overall ink spend by up to 35 percent when blending the inks in-house and up to 46 percent if blended inks are purchased. A GFI dispensing unit is provided at no cost as long as printers purchase a minimum annual amount of Sun Chemical conventional commercial sheetfed bases and inks.
• Van Son Holland Ink showcased its Quickson Premium ink, a new solvent-free ink formulated to deliver high performance, dot retention and color vibrancy on all sheetfed presses.
• INX International Ink offered several environmentally friendly inks, including energy curable, UV LED and green products.
• Fiberweb promoted its pre- saturated, low-VOC, Elixir Automatic Blanket Cleaning (ABC) rolls that work with most blanket cleaning systems.
• NELA highlighted its fully automated, On-Press Register Control (OPRC) solution that provides color register and cutoff control.
• Essex Products featured its KeyColor automated ink-key setting, ColorSpec color measurement and ColorInspec defect detection systems. PI