Original Impressions Celebrates Earth Day With Two Environmental PromotionsApril 2009
Environmentally Responsible —At No Extra Charge
The Turn A New Leaf promotion will offer new and existing customers the option to purchase FSC, SFI and PEFC certified sustainable papers at the same price as non-certified papers*. The promotion, which was initially launched in January 2009 has been reprised for Earth Day and will run through December 2009. The Company was the first triple certified marketing communications company in Florida to receive triple Certification. OI can purchase and print on FSC, SFI and PEFC certified papers, and customers can select the certified logo of their choice for their marketing materials.
A Gift For Generations To Come
Additionally, OI will present existing clients with Gift Trees, long leaf pines that successfully thrive in the South Florida climate, purchased from the National Arbor Day Foundation. The trees will be delivered in recyclable plastic tubes that can later be made into bird feeders. They come complete with planting and care instructions.
“We are working hard to do what is right for the long-term health of our communities in which we work and live,” said Roland B. Garcia, Sr., founder and CEO, Original Impressions. “This commitment carries over to our customers in that we increasingly offer them ways to make educated and informed decisions about the paper and printing services they purchase. We want them to know that we are a strong eco-partner they can trust.”
A Commitment To A Greener Workplace
While Original Impressions continues to seek eco–friendly methods and practices, following are a few of the initiatives already in place:
• We have a company-wide recycling policy in order to reduce waste. The program covers inks, toner cartridges, scrap metals, cardboard, pallets, shrink-wrap, printing plates, etc. and is widely adhered to throughout our printing plant and office. In fact, we recycle on average 100,000 pounds of paper and cardboard each month.
• With client permission, we recycle useable materials such as three-ring binders, plastic cases, etc. by donating them to The Education Fund for use by Miami-Dade County public school teachers and students in the classroom.
• Our Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 printing press allows us to significantly decrease our carbon footprint by reducing CO2 emissions generated by material consumption and printing processes of the press to more than five percent, paper waste by up to 80 percent, energy consumption by more than 15 percent and waste by up to five percent.
• Our printing plant is outfitted with energy-efficient lighting, which saves on average 75 percent more energy than previous lighting.
• Automatic ink mixers are used to eliminate the need to mix ink by hand, a conventional process that wastes inks and requires the use of hazardous solvents for clean-up. Additionally, any ink produced in error is remixed to form black ink.
• The introduction of direct-to-plate technologies has eliminated the need for film and film processing chemicals in our plant.
• We have also implemented online uploading of print proofs, which adds to our customers’ efficiency by cutting down paper use, travel time and other resources.
Green Certified Papers, Inks & Processes
• We consult our clients when selecting papers to think of eco-friendly options first. We offer a wide selection of FSC, SFI and PEFC options, as well as recycled, acid-free and processed chlorine-free papers. We also promote the use of Green-e and carbon neutral papers.
• We use soy and other vegetable-based inks, which are less harmful to the environment and widely recognized as the environmentally-friendly choice.
• We use environmentally-friendly, non-toxic chemicals and cleaning solvents and have eliminated isopropyl alcohol from the press dampening systems. We also employ a solvent recycler to reduce the amount of hazardous materials we keep on site.
Original Impressions, LLC (OI) is a full service marketing communications company specializing in Creative Design, Web Development, Printing, Mailing/Fulfillment and Marketing Consulting for clients across a broad spectrum of industries, including Banking, Beverages, Cosmetics, Cruise Lines, Fast Food, Healthcare, Hospitality and Pharmaceuticals. Original Impressions is one of the first triple certified Marketing Communications companies in South Florida authorized to purchase FSC, SFI and PEFC certified paper and print the certified logos on its clients’ marketing materials. It is one of the “Top 100 Minority Businesses in South Florida” and one of the “Top 500 Hispanic Companies in the U.S.” It is also a Certified Minority Supplier at the local, state and national levels. To learn more about Original Impressions, please visit the company’s Web site at www.originalimpressions.com.
*If a certified sustainable sheet is not available or does not exist, a comparable paper of equivalent specifications/value will be provided.