Hazmat Responds to Chemical Spill at Printing Company
LA CROSSE, WI—July 3, 2014—A chemical spill at Inland Label & Marketing Services forced the company to call the fire department Wednesday night, according to WEAU-TV.
Hazmat crews were brought in to soak up the solvent n-propyl acetate—which is flammable and toxic if inhaled—with absorbent pads and monitor the air. Team members entered the building wearing protective suits. Gas was also turned off at the building to prevent the chemical from igniting.
The solvent is most commonly used for flexographic and special screen printing inks.
Inland Label & Marketing Services specializes in producing labels for global clients, such as Molson, MillerCoors, Procter & Gamble and Anheuser-Busch.