CIP4 Announces 2009 CIPPI Awards ProgramFebruary 27, 2009
WASHINGTON, DC—February 27, 2009—The International Cooperation for the Integration of the Processes in Prepress, Press and Postpress (CIP4) organization announced details of its 2009 annual Jürgen Schönhut Memorial CIP4 International Print Production Innovation (CIPPI) Awards Program. Applications are due Friday, June 26, 2009 and the awards will be presented to the winners during Print 2009 in Chicago, IL. Two new award categories have been added to the program. The categories for the CIPPI awards are:
• First and Second Place - Best cost/benefit realization and improvement in efficiency as a result of process automation implementation
• First and Second Place - Biggest improvement in quality production & customer responsiveness as a result of process automation
• Most innovative use of process automation technology in an implementation*
• (New) Small Business Process Automation Implementation of the Year (e.g., companies with less than 20 total employees, regardless of the number of locations.)*
• (New) Best Digital Printing Process Automation Implementation of the Year*
• Best Process Automation Implementation - Europe
• Best Process Automation Implementation - North America
• Best Process Automation Implementation - Asia Pacific
• Best Process Automation Implementation - Emerging Markets
*) The Most Innovative, Small Business and Digital Printing awards are given out at the discretion of the Review Panel. In any given year the review panel will not issue the three awards if they decide there is no appropriate candidate.
In addition, a new application form and new procedures for the award program have been published to the CIP4 website (See www.cip4.org/cippi/). The new requirements include changes such as requiring "before" and "after" workflow diagrams and an executive summary. "Last year we saw an increase in the number of CIPPI award applications," said CIPPI review panel judge Patrick Cahuet of 1Prime|Concept. "These changes will help the review panel judges, as well as the general public, to better understand the implementation described in the application."
"Last year we also saw the first emerging market winner from Pragati Offset in India, as well as hugely innovative implementations from folks like Cox Targeted Media and Print Plaza," said CIP4 executive director James Harvey. "We expect to see more global usage of JDF in the CIPPI Awards Program, as well as further innovations. Given the economic environment, we know a lot of printers are turning to print automation with JDF to capture cost savings quickly, and it will be interesting to see what creative solutions printers and their vendors come up with to improve their bottom line in short order."