CBS, PepsiCo and Time to Use Video in a Print AdAugust 19, 2009
For the very first time, readers can watch video content straight from the printed page via a paper-thin interactive video player — featuring five channels of CBS and Pepsi Max content -- to be inserted into CBS/Pepsi Max ads in select copies of Entertainment Weekly's Fall TV preview issue (Sept. 18 issue, on stands Friday, Sept. 11). The newest of CBS's long list of marketing innovations, such as the celebrated promotional eggs, flash drives in print ads and roof-top ads for airplane passengers, this VIP promotion provides an opportunity to sample CBS's new series in a remarkably unique and involving way. Omnicom's OMD, the media agency for CBS and PepsiCo, helped orchestrate the deal.
As Entertainment Weekly readers flip to the "Monday to the Max" CBS/Pepsi Max promotional spread they will be greeted with a specially-produced brief video featuring THE BIG BANG THEORY's Kaley Cuoco, Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki, in character as Penny, Sheldon and Leonard. The trio explains how to use the VIP (Video in Print) player — while also chatting about Entertainment Weekly and exchanging some characteristically cutting remarks with each other.
After the introduction, readers can choose from the following five video menu options:
* HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER "The Bro Code" (a video montage of series character Barney Stinson's amusing codes of conduct for "Bros")
* 2 ½ Minutes of TWO AND A HALF MEN
plus THE BIG BANG THEORY "Talk Nerdy to Me" (separate video compilations of humorous moments from both shows, the second of which features a musical homage to THE BIG BANG THEORY's male characters' endearingly geeky jargon and pastimes)
* "I'm Good" by Pepsi Max (a funny spot promoting this "first diet cola for men")
* ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE: Preview (a sneak peek of CBS's newest comedy)
* CBS New Fall Dramas: Preview (a sneak peek of NCIS: LA, THE GOOD WIFE and THREE RIVERS)