Automation on Heidelberg’s XL VLF Series Presses Achieves Systematically Shorter Makeready Times
• A single-suction belt feeder that is a zero-makeready element – air settings are preset automatically and no rollers or hold down elements need to be set.
• The proven ink fountain liner that enables fast, clean ink changes as the operator doesn’t have to wipe down each fountain with a rag.
• Fully automatic plate changing – on a straight press, all plates are changed in less than 2.5 minutes
• Convenient coating plate changes – designed to be completed by one operator in less than 2.5 minutes
• In addition, extensive presetting of all ink, air, format and dryer settings via the high-performance Prinect Press Center dramatically speeds makeready on first-time and repeat jobs alike.
• The innovative, process-oriented Intellistart navigation system streamlines and standardizes makeready procedures from operator to operator and shift to shift, significantly boosting Speedmaster productivity.
Parallel processes also cut makeready times: each press comes equipped with dedicated impression and blanket cylinder wash-up devices – i.e. blanket and impression cylinders are washed at the same time. For shops with frequent ink changes, a separate drive can be added to specific individual or to all inking units – allowing the washing of the ink fountain roller and the inking unit at a higher speed while the press washes the blanket and impression cylinders at a lower speed.
As for print quality, the fully integrated, inline Prinect Inpress Control system automatically measures and controls color and register in the control strip on the fly, at any speed — again cutting makeready time and enabling the operator to focus on the sheet itself, rather than on the process of producing the sheet.
Customer reports for Speedmaster XL VLF presses equipped with Prinect Inpress Control show the following averages for 4-color makereadies, including a coating plate change: